Overnight parking at Portsmouth Ferry

samnkeez

The Brittany Ferries website has guidance on parking for each of its ferry ports. The web-page for Portsmouth is here

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/guides/ports/portsmouth

and the Port Parking advice is

"If you have an early morning sailing caravans/motorhomes can be parked in the check-in lanes after midnight. The vehicle is parked at your own risk and should not be left unattended. Please note that no facilities are open overnight.”

As mildi has said, it is possible to stay on the periphery of the port car-park even if you arrive there earlier in the evening as long as there’s room and the security personnel OK it. Should not be a problem in April.

In another recent forum discussion, a small car-park towards the end of Whale Island Way is suggested for free overnight parking. GPS Coordinates are 50.815716, -1.090532

I'm taking a ferry from Portsmouthlater this year, not having been there for 30 years since I was in the Navy, so I fancy spending a day in the Historic Dockyard before we embark in the evening - anyone have any tips for parking a MH for such a visit?

Suggestions for parking near Portsmouth Historic Dockyard are here

http://www.historicdockyard.co.uk/car-parking

but you might consider using the Park & Ride facility.

http://parkandride.portsmouth.gov.uk/index.shtml

Worth noting the following Question/Answer in the FAQ section

"Q: Is there a height barrier installed at the park & ride car park?

A: Yes. It is 2.1m (6' 11") but is very rarely down. Please check our homepage or Twitter, we will post an update if the height barrier is down.

If you have a large vehicle that takes up more than one space, you will have to purchase a ticket for every space used. Motorhomes and minibuses can enter the site when the height barrier is not in use."

PJay - 2017-03-01 4:00 PM

Depending on what time your ferry. Why not park at Port Solent Marina, restaurants etc there, then travel to the ferry closer to your time It is on the A27 5/6 mins from ferry

PJay

Looks like your ferry is a morning one? If so Port Solent will be OK over night. Park away from the cinema.

It is FREE parking , and once the restaurants and shops close, and cinema should be quiet , as no passing traffic

PJay

• 1 month later...

We came back through Portsmouth on Thursday, intending to overnight in the port as we have done on many occasions before. However, after a real thorough going over by Border Control (every vehicle) we drove round to Terminal but it was all closed and cordoned off. I asked the Hi-Vis guy where I could park and he told us all overnighting has been stopped at the Port since the London Terrorist attack and the only parking allowed now is for the early morning boat and absolutely NO entry until Midnight.

Be aware! Not sure Britanny Ferries website has updated the information re parking.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Archived