limescale

silverback

hello, we were recently in Benicassim in Spain, while we were there the kettle and other things furred up because of the water, even the plastic glasses discoloured. so i was thinking that the boiler element in the truma boiler most likely will be furred up also, does anybody know of any treatments i could tip in the water tank to try and get rid of this without destroying the stainless boiler or should i just leave it?

regards

Jonathan

colin - 2017-03-02 7:09 PM

Truma have a product called AquaStar 1, it's active ingredient is citric acid.

I have a feeling Truma may no longer market the Aquastar products, though some retailers may still stock it.

This video-clip describes the Aquastar treatment process

but if descaling is the only objective (as has been suggested above) using ‘ordinary' citric acid powder, or wine vinegar, should be just as effective.

Looking in the water tank will not help. It needs the water heated to deposit the limescale residue. I use white wine vinegar from Asda, half the price from other supermarkets. I think it has to be the white wine stuff. I have seen somewhere that the ordinary white vinegar should not be used, but I don't know why.

I am interested in the comment that in Yorkshire, scaling up kettles etc is not a problem - a lot of Yorkshire is Limestone country which is prime for scaling up, so where in Yorkshire does Silverback chap live?

Neil B

Being a long time resident of the Selby District of North Yorkshire, I can positively affirm that you do get lime scale in Yorkshire, but the problem is not noticeable in Leeds which lies between us and Keighley.

The problem is most noticeable in kettles, as the deposits do not form to such an extent at the lower temperatures of 50 to 55C used in water heaters. I this was not the case most of the domestic hot water cylinders in the area would need regular descaling, which our domestic kettle does need.

As to glasses, cups, and the ends of taps where drops of water frequently evaporate in warm weather, deposits will accumulate.

My advice to Silverback would be not to worry unless the water that he experienced was so hard that he could not raise a lather when washing his hands.

armstrongpiper - 2017-03-03 4:06 PM

...I have seen somewhere that the ordinary white vinegar should not be used, but I don't know why...

Neil B

This Wikipedia entry relates to “vinegar”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinegar

It would appear that “white” (distilled) vinegar is based on malt, while “white wine” vinegar is based on wine.

It’s stated that wine vinegar tends to have a lower acidity than white vinegar, which may explain why it’s preferable for descaling motorhome boilers. It may simply be that specifying wine vinegar for descaling reduces the likelihood that people will use one of the other vinegars that might not be suitable (a high strength spirit vinegar perhaps?)

armstrongpiper - 2017-03-03 4:06 PM

Looking in the water tank will not help. It needs the water heated to deposit the limescale residue. I use white wine vinegar from Asda, half the price from other supermarkets. I think it has to be the white wine stuff. I have seen somewhere that the ordinary white vinegar should not be used, but I don't know why.

I am interested in the comment that in Yorkshire, scaling up kettles etc is not a problem - a lot of Yorkshire is Limestone country which is prime for scaling up, so where in Yorkshire does Silverback chap live?

Neil B

er I think you'll find your wrong there as I have recently de-scaled my fresh water tank, bits had come adrift and got into the system and affected the submersible pump etc. So checked in my truma manual to see what was suggested, white wine vinegar was to be used and left it a few hours in the system then flushed it out. I had to remove the drain plug on the tank and flush that with a hose as there was so much in there. All working well now.

Phil and Lol - 2017-03-11 6:42 PM

Try speckled hen :-)

he he (lol) would be too expensive buying 120 ltrs of it, i have bought 1kg of citric acid powder off ebay, so will stick that in and see what happens *-)

thanks everyone i will report back on what comes out!

Jonathan

Citric acid for me - cheap enough on Amazon. Put 500gms - 1kg in the fresh water tank after diluting, fill up with water and fill whole system. Leave for a while with pump switched of and after several hours heat the water with the tap open. Flush through with clean water and Bobs your uncle. Done annually, this keeps the system efficient. Scale does form at lower temperatures - ask those that heave needed to change their immersion heater element when that only heats to 70 degrees.

Archived