Portugal......and beyond!!!

snowie

Sat on a very nice site in Zambujeira, and for me it's 8.8 fac's and 8.0 pitches, my mind turns (because it's raining, maybe until Monday) to something interesting; like .....

If I plan a replacement for our bespoke van! Affectionately known as "The Walrus" should I base it on another Ducato or give a Merc a go?

It'll be an interesting exercise because I'll have to sell the existing one to help fund the replacement.

And we all know what they say about getting your money back on a bespoke project don't we?

So Merc or Ducato / any other Sevel van, definitely possibly not white next time.

If Nick Fisher is reading this I'm really not sure I would enjoy a Merc Nick and after you sorted the exhaust gas recirc she drives beautifully, and reverses up hills beautifully too (not that often if I can avoid it), but maybe better mechanical/ Electrical reliability?

Regards

ALan b

I had several Fiat Ducato motorhomes (from new) from 1995 until 2010 and they ran perfectly with no problems.

Then changed to a Mercedes Sprinter (from new) - what a mistake! We had to say a little prayer every time we attempted to start up because it was so unreliable. During the guarantee period it had a new stater motor, new starter relay switches and replacement wiring to the starting system - but still gave problems and had to be towed into the Mercedes dealer on many occasions. Loads of other annoying problems such as condensation in the headlight units which Mercedes refused to replace.

To add to the misery, the vehicle was very thirsty compared to the Ducatos and was relatively expensive to service.

We changed back to a Fiat Ducato 180 HP with Comfortmatic transmission in 2014 and we have had no problems at all. The power engine is superb and never runs out of puff.

Changing the moby again soon and it's a no brainer: Fiat Ducato base with 180HP engine and comfortmatic = a great European touring combination.

I have just down sized to a PVC from a A Series Rapido,  Another Sprinter based vehicle, this is my third Sprinter and I cannot fault them Having owned Two Ducato,s a 2004 then a new 2008 the 2004  needed front bearings twice in three years and wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding , the 2008 needed a new AGR valve 3 weeks into ownership along with the reversing problems etc. so I,m no Fiat fan, if you read the catalogue of  Fiat problems from its inception to date its not as reliable as people would suggest, Cam shaft problem being the latest, Near all Ambulances in the Dumfries area are based on the Sprinter chassis, White van man is the biggest purchaser of Sprinters and everyone of the Sprinter drivers who deliver to me Love them , so I would do a lot more research before parting with your hard earned Money.

Hi Alan,

The only noticeable difference between the Fiat Comfortmatic box and the conventional automatic (as on my previous Sprinter) is that you cannot creep along when in a queue - the clutch is either in or out so you have to go and then stop.

The big advantage is that the Comfortmatic is approx. 5% more efficient than a conventional manual and very much more efficient than a conventional automatic.

My wife has reminded me of other significant problems we experienced with the Sprinter whilst in the guarantee period: winsdscreen wiper motor packed up and rear brake pads became detached.

Archived