40 watt solar panel, any good?

Wensco

Could anyone tell me if a 40 watt solar panel will be any good? I was looking at buying my first motorhome, I have narrowed it down to a few, but one motorhomes solar panel is only 40 watt and wasn't sure what this will provide? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Our last van had a 30w panel and it provided what we wanted, our present van has a 85w panel, due to changes in the way we use the van I doubt 40w would be much use to us now, although I do use one to keep the engine battery charged when the van is under cover, so the question is not answerable with the info you have provided.

In any case the size of panel would be way down the list for us, if it wasn't big enough would just add another.

Thanks for replying. I Just needed a bit of advice because we were looking at buying our first motorhome and there were 3 things different on the 2 we had shortlisted.

1) 120 watt solar panel versus 40 watt

2) 700kg payload versus 493kg

3) space for 2 x 13kg gas bottles versus 2 x 7kg

Trouble is the motorhome with the smaller values has better interior comforts. I know you can't have everything and you have to compromise but didn't want to make an expensive mistake.

Wensco - 2017-03-04 10:25 PM

Thanks for replying. I Just needed a bit of advice because we were looking at buying our first motorhome and there were 3 things different on the 2 we had shortlisted.

Trouble is the motorhome with the smaller values has better interior comforts. I know you can't have everything and you have to compromise but didn't want to make an expensive mistake.

1 Can't help

2 700kg payload bigger than 493

3Gas bottles usually 2 7kg. The larger ones affect your payload/

remember everything you add to van, reduces your usable payload.

it depends on how you use van, as to what your requirements are . long trips/ weekends?

The choice of van is usually , dependent on use, number of persons.

The ferry cost more for longer vans. The weight of van depends on whether your licence allows over 3500KG

So many choices. A little more info re your requirements , would help, in giving answers

Hi Wensco, yes it's always a difficult decision and will ultimately come down to where you make the compromises. Many of us still struggle with similar problems after many years and several vans later!

But, for me the bigger issue would be the payload and, to a lesser degree, the size of the gas locker. Although there are solutions adding more capacity to solar power and gas would have weight consequences on your payload. As has been said, it is a simple matter of adding more capacity and you could also either switch to refillable gas cylinders or consider fitting a larger under slung tank. However, these add more cost and weight to the van.

It is really difficult when you find a layout that works for you but, believe me, that contented feeling of sitting in a lounge you love would soon disappear if you are worrying about not having enough 12v power or gas and not being able to increase either due to the lack of payload.

Good luck with the search.

David

Wensco - 2017-03-04 10:25 PM

I can only give an answer based on our usage.

1) Panel might be able to be changed if needed.

2) We are happy with 500kg, but don't usualy carry masses of stuff.

3) We have 2x13kg, but so far use little more than one bottle a year.

Hi, we had a freestanding 40 watt panel when we were caravanning, and for max benefit always shifted is around the van into the best position for sunshine..when we purchase motorhome, it was already fitted an seems to be 100 watts.fixed flat on the roof. No real problem with either, but should point out that caravanning was usually on sites with hookups, so a bit surplus really.

motorhoming is less likely to be on hookup, and so far the panel keeps both batteries ok during winter layup

The 40 watt panel was passed on to a motorhoming friend, and has not had any problems, but remember during winter layup, his van is on permanent hookup at home.

personally, I would recommend 100 watt panel if you are buying , nothing smaller.

tonyg3nwl

Hi,

Everthing will depend on what you will be using it for and when you will be using your new motor home. If you want to use it for wild camping or where there will be no hook up then you will need the more powerful solar panel. If you will need to use gas for heating and cooking and for the fridge then the more gas the better. Are you having rechargeable gas bottles? We had 2 x 6kg bottles fitted and then realised they were no good for going abroad so had to change them for rechargeable bottles at extra cost.

In life everything is the bigger the better.

Good luck with what ever you decide and don't worry you can always change things later, it just cost more.

We have 300 watts of solar and wild camp or on sites but without electric where possible, with two 110 batteries, and manage quite well. We have an Elddis Aspire 255 the gas locker will not take 13 kg bottles only 6kg. Fine if just UK but no good abroad. We have fitted a 55 LPG tank (44 litres capacity) this weigh less the two 13 kg bottles and is cheaper to fill and three addaptor S get gas anywhere in Europe. Also frees up locker. Weigh up the cost, we use the van a lot maybe 100 nights a year so it pays for us, if you only do light use, maybe not economicly viable for you. Our van 7.5 mtrs 3700 kgs with the extras fitted including Sky dish leaves us with 440 kgs payload. This can easily be used up if you are not carefull. I would work out what you are going to use the van for and what you will be putting in it.

We really noticed the benefit of solar panels when touring in France using Aires (usually no EHU) when the combination of solar generation (which works when you are driving as well as parked up) and driving was always enough to recahrge after an evening's lights and TV.  We have about 130 watts of panels.

40 watts probably not enough for our lifestyle but easy enough to add or substitute another panel if you have room up top and they are not dear.  Panels are exactly the same as those used for domestic installations and are now widely available in bigger sizes. You might need a regulator too and linking panels requires fitting of bridging/blocking diodes in a junction box, which are cheap but require skill to install.  If you already have a suitable regulator fitted (some 40 watt units it might just connect directly to the leisure battery) it might just be a case of linking up another panel on the roof and using the existing downfeed through the roof and the existing regulator.

If your existing regulator is suitable, cheapest solution might be to bin the 40w panel (which will already have lived some of its service life) and replace with a 150 watt panel.  Talk to SolarSolutions.

Thanks everyone for your replies. We want to use the motorhome all year round and we want to go abroad skiing. We plan to go abroad and holiday in this country aswell. We asked the dealer if a bigger solar panel could be fitted but unfortunately there is no space on the roof to do this.

I have thought about fitting the Gaslow system which would sort the gas situation out. I originally posted the question to see if the solar panel and gas situation would sway my decision one way or another.

What would most people consider to be the most important things to consider when buying a new motorhome?

Wensco - 2017-03-05 12:42 PM ....What would most people consider to be the most important things to consider when buying a new motorhome?

It depends on how you intend to use the MH.  It sounds like you need a modern well insulated MH with internal (i.e. frost proof) water and waste tanks but does your budget stretch to that?  Hymers have been built for this role since the early nineties but have you got space at home to park an A Class MH?  Campsites in skiing areas would usually have EHUs but you would also need a gas or diesel heater capable of coping with the low temperatures.  Solar panel might not be important.

If you are contemplating skiing with the van, you would be advised to have at least an internal fresh water tank and sufficient gas for the heating, probably 2 x 11Kg refillable bottles (depending on length of stay). Most skiiers leave the waste water tank open and collect the grey water in a bucket.

As Stuart mentioned, Hymers have been designed for sub-zero temperatures for many years (other winter proof vans are available, mainly German, and some Italian and French).

It would be interesting to know which vans the OP is considering on his current favourites list.

Think you need to do what we did to help you get what you think is right for you. Make 3 lists, the first lists everything you MUST have, the second is everything you want and the third is everything you would like so when you make a short list of vans you have a better chance of finding what you want. Many people buy a new van only to find it isn't right for them. We went look for vans with friends and for a year they were adamant they didn't want anything longer than 7 mtr long, they ended up buying a van 7.4 mtr as it gave them what they wanted. Good luck and don't rush as it can be costly if you do get it wrong.

Thanks again for lots of really helpful info.

Our budget is around £50k, we wanted to buy new because it is going to be our holiday home and plan on keeping it long term and not chopping and changing.

We looked at Hymers but I think realistically they are out of our budget. We want no more than 6m with a drop down bed over the living area.

The 2 models we had narrowed it down to were the Rollerteam TLine 590 (better payload, better solar panel, better gas bottle situation) and the Bessacarr 424 (better finish and better internal living)

We have considered others like the Burnster Ixeo IT586 and Chausson Flash 530. They all have fors and againsts, some are more expensive, some have better ovens etc.

I thought this would be easy. We have been looking seriously since last October and went to the NEC show last week, I came away with a headache and have had eye strain since!

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Archived