Picking up new van/where to go on first trip?

kevandali

Hi everyone, I know I am being a bit premature as we have not got our new van yet but have decided to plan ahead for a change instead of the  'filled up, have a map/satnav, bikes on, walking stuff in, dog in...we're off' type of approach. (lol)

We pick the van up from the Doncaster area and def want to head over towards Northumberland. We love Robin Hood's Bay and Whitby but were thinking what's interesting a bit further north? We will probably have a week or slightly more and I can imagine that we will be excited about heading out with our new (yet to be named) van but would definitely start off with using campsites before we become more adventurous. We were thinking France but because it is new to us and our first Auto Trail, though we would stick to our lovely shores this time around, just in case we have any niggles/problems and it would be a lot easier to sort.

Thanks in advance for the forthcoming advice which never ceases to be 'spot on' and gives me a chance to show my other half, bless her, and she can then choose the location.
That way, if in the very rare circumstance the info proves to be slightly incorrect or misleading, I have an even rarer opertunity to say 'well.... you picked it (lol)

That way, if in the very rare circumstance the info proves to be slightly incorrect or misleading, I have an even rarer opertunity to say 'well.... you picked it (lol)

On second thoughts, ignore the last bit of my post as I can imagine a reply of 'you and that bloody forum!'
A nice dog friendly campsite with plenty of walking and even some push bikin would be nice :-)

We, too, are picking up our new van in April, and that is also (our first) Autotrail, though our 6th motorhome. Included in the 'price' is one night at a local campsite, or on the dealers own hook-up area, and although we only live 30 miles from the dealer, we propose taking advantage of this, as we did on the previous purchase form the same dealer. .

Its not just a case of checking everything out, but equally, as its ten years since we bought the last one, and from a different manufacturer, there will be a fairly steep learning curve, so I think its as well to stay the first night and then they are on hand if there are any queries next day!..

Hi Kev,

We are new to motorhoming and as such we only picked up our first MH in Sep-16. We spent the first week sitting on our drive learning how to switch things on and off, followed by four subsequent weekends of traveling to Caravan Club sites which were 'very' local to us.

We found this to be a useful training tool :-) as it gave us a chance to establish our loading list for trips and how to access sites.

Unlike Mrs Bop and I, you are probably a seasoned motorhomer but we found that doing the simple things first helped make our motorhoming experience much more enjoyable.

That being said, the third trip away was the worst for me - I forgot my toothbrush, hiking boots, matches, eggs, watering can and the kitchen sink. We didn't make the same mistake again

Good luck with the new van,

Andrew

Hi Kevandali

despite your "ignore" post, there appears to be tailor made for just what you are looking for, in the current issue of MMM. (April 17)

The "Dog friendly Days" article, shows Glororum Holiday Park @ Bamburgh, Northumberland.

Views to Bamburgh Castle.

Close by are the Farne Islands,(seals & seabirds) Alnwick Castle (in Harry Potter films)& Lindisfarne.

Miles of beach for dog walking.

www.northumberlandleisure.co.uk

There's a good site at Beadnell on the coast just a few miles south of Bamburg. Make sure you observe the tide times if you go to Lindisfarne. A high spring tide leaves a lot of seawater on the causeway road even at low tides, so you may want to consider washing the underside of your van after a crossing.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies, I will check out the Glorum Holiday Park and have already seen the Breadnell site which we like the look of. It will be our 4th motorhome so really still a newbie compared to some older/wiser heads on here :-)
Think we will also take advantage of the overnight stop from the dealer just to familiarise myself with how everything works then its Northumbria here we come.

Kev,

If you get the chance then I would certainly visit the Old Hartley site which is positioned on the cliffs of Whitley Bay, overlooking St Margaret's Lighthouse. This is a Caravan & Motorhome Site but it's fantastic for walking and cycling routes.

The only other thing to consider is that some of the pitches are not that even so be prepared to spend a few minutes levelling-out.

There's also a great chippy just up the road.

All the best,

Andrew

Archived