,Motorhome weights

ChrisD

ChrisD - 2017-03-05 1:23 PM

...Could somebody kindly advise if I am correct in that payload is calculated by gross vehicle

Weight minus MRO...

Chris

Yes, but the catch is the ‘formula' used to produce the MIRO (Mass In Running Order) value. This formula can vary from motorhome manufacturer to manufacturer, but this link provides general guidance

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/articles/practical-advice/motorhome-payload

The MRO usually does not take into account passengers, so you need to add the weight of 'her ladyship' or whoever. Fuel tanks and water tanks are also a variation. Engine size ang gearbox type can also make a difference.

The best way for your own piece of mind is to take the motorhome to a public weighbridge and get the weight checked, with any regular passengers on board. Put in your basic equipment, but not extras such as the crates of wine you planned on buying in France etc.Then you all go home and go on a diet???? and remove anything that is putting you over the gross weight. Hopefully you have not gone too mad and have some available weight left for other things such as food and any 'toys' such as bikes you wish to take along. Bikes are probably the biggest 'killers' for weight as each bike can be 20 plus kg, a rack is another 20 kg and if you added a pullout awning then another 30-40 kg has 'vanished' . If you find that to keep inside the gross weight you are travelling 'empty' then you may consider getting the gross weight increased by replating, if that is allowable. But if you do check your driving licence as anything over 3500 kg will restrict you once you hit 70 years of age.

In the real world if you are looking to buy work on a basic payload of as close to 500 kg as you can get. This usually give room for any extras without making life impossible. If the model you look at is only 200 kg of listed payload, then be very careful indeed.

Best not to trust the published "guidelines" or, if you wish to do so, add 5% to the manufacture's quoted figures to take into account the "leeway" they are allowed for a build tolerance that, strangely, always seems to get used up !

When I get a van, I fill the fuel tank full (and now the Adblue tank), fill the gas tank, know how much water is present (30 litres last time), additional "essentials" fitted (towbar & solar panel for me) & the two of us and weigh it - West Yorkshire Trading Standards has a free 24hr drive over weighbridge at Gildersome that gives axle weights & total weight. I did this yesterday with a Chausson Welcome 610 & now know I have 350kg (actual, rather than theoretical) payload free & enough axle weight spare to have that all on the back with no problems. Weighing everthing that goes in from now on then lets me know how much spare capacity I have to be able to travel with more water, though first trip out with a different loading (sometimes travel with two electric bicycles, sometimes with a trailer with two motorcycles) I always detour to the WYTS weighbridge to make sure everything is within spec.

Any other method is just guesswork IMO.

Nigel B

Derek Uzzell - 2017-03-05 2:14 PM

ChrisD - 2017-03-05 1:23 PM

...Could somebody kindly advise if I am correct in that payload is calculated by gross vehicle

Weight minus MRO...

Chris

Yes, but the catch is the ‘formula' used to produce the MIRO (Mass In Running Order) value. This formula can vary from motorhome manufacturer to manufacturer, but this link provides general guidance

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/articles/practical-advice/motorhome-payload

This would make a great Sticky on the forum for cross-reference purposes. Very useful indeed.

Archived