christmas conundrum

fred grant

i've just got me copy of which motorhome - on the front cover it do say Small is beautiful - the auto-sleeper that does over 40 mpg and fits in your garage.

Me and Alice is not thinking of down sizing from our a class quite yet, but the bit about fitting in your garage did get me thinking.

tiz 16ft 3in long, and i reckon that would just squeeze in me garage - with a fag paper or two over.

but height of 6ft 5in could be another matter

our garage door is a standard 7ft up and over garadoor with level entry and no threshold, yet we can only just get our 5ft 10in high car in

so the conundrum is this, when you are too full of turkey and the grandkids is giving you earache - just pop out for sum fresh air and measure the maximum height vehicle that will fit through your garage door

i'd really like to know if anybody can really get one of these in a normal garage - or shall we plan to keep the dutch barn when we retire?

I reckon that 'standard' garage doors are getting smaller as cars get bigger! We have a nice big garage, lots of width and headroom, once you get in, borrowed the new Honda Civic and could only get it in by folding in both wing mirrors, and we catch the aerial on the top of the door if we don't push it up really hard!

It's all kidology, eye catching details that don't check out; like manufacturers designing mhs with 6 berths, 2 passenger seat belts, and payload for one.

B-)

Garages are far too valuable a space to fill with vehicles. By the time the Lathe, Grinder, Oxy Acetelene and Arc welding equipment, thee phase pillar drill, guilotine, flexi shaft grinder, motorbikes, Printed Circuit Board manufacturing plant, benches, and oooodles of other clutter are in there there is barely space for me! Current project being a large tricycle for our Autistic Grand son. It needs to be tough!

Happy Christmas to all from Alladins Cave.

C.

Our garage door presented us with a conundrum when we decided to change the car a couple of years or so ago. A previous owener of the property had an electric mechanism fitted to the door of the garage, but unfortunately whilst the door iteself is probably a 'standard' height, the stays required a about 6inches lower than the door itself when opened......actually quite dangerous, and it is very eay to knock ones head on it....and i'm only 5'7 tall. warnings have been issued to workmen, and theat part of the mechanism is ocevred with a tratowel whcih hangs down in front of your face!

When we looked to change the car, one we were interesetd in was the Citroen Picasso, but on checking the dimensions in the Cirtoen info, there may have been 1" to spare.......so no go. Instead we looked at the Nissan Almera Tino (very similar to the Picasso)but the dimensions showed it was about 4" lower.

On relating the pro0blem to the Salesman at our Nissan Dealers (we already had an older Almera Hatchback), we wer invited to take the Tino for a test drive, take it home and see if it fitted! We warned him it might come back with a groove in the roof.!!

Good service though, and in fact we subsequently bought one.

The motorhome however has to live in a specially widened and strengthened driveway, sitting over the septic tank!

Archived