Fresh water level indicator on our Autocruise Accent

Currycampers

Hi, can anyone steer me towards a solution to the fresh water indicator on our Autocruise Accent seeming to be stuck on half full? The tanks are well drained. I wonder if anyone has a simple solution as I expect the job to replace the sensor would be a difficult and costly. The van still has a couple of weeks warranty but our dealer has been so atrocious over the last 3 years we are reluctant to let them do another half-hearted job which would probably end up with worse damage.

Water tank indicators are notorious for becoming inaccurate over time, Many rely on a small electrical current passing over different level measuring points. Overtime the tank's internal measuring point contacts become coated. Often due to lime scale build up on fresh water tank (especially in hard water areas, i.e like kettle scale) & additionally with grease, etc., in the waste tank.

On each tank, look for thin wires attached at different levels externally, this will indicate the contacts position within the tank. Depending on the contacts location they can often be cleaned in the Fresh Water Tank, with a wide top screw cover enabling your arm to get inside, but this is usually not a method that can be used on Waste Water Tanks.

A wipe with a drop of citric acid on a cloth, often works where internal access can be achieved.

For the Waste Water Tank, adding plenty of hot fresh water with a good dose of cleaner (or cheap Cola) will generally shift the worst of the contaminants, after a brisk drive around to "slosh" the contents around in the tank. This will also release other gunk/gunge build up in the Waste Tank.

Mine is a little moving coil meter, there is a variable resistor behind it on a tiny circuit board to calibrate it. It still isn't very accurate though. If you can imagine, the contacts in the tank may sometimes be wet but not immersed so give a low resistance, but other times bone dry, the water level could be the same and you'd get 2 different readings. I don't think there is an answer to it.

A clear tube off the fresh water drain would be very accurate once calibrated but unsightly. Or maybe a waterproof camera in the tank with night vision tee hee.

Archived