Uk V5 code

We, here in the UK, do not have to get any papers for any modifications to our vehicles. We can just do what we want to a vehicle as long as it is legal and does not affect the roadworthiness.

I know those less fortunate in other countries :-D have to notify the authorities of any modifications and get the correct paperwork.

Hope this answers your question.

H

Monique

A V5C is the registration certificate for UK-registered vehicle. There’s a useful explanation here

https://www.carkeys.co.uk/guides/the-v5c-document-explained

This link (3 webpages) specifies the changes to a vehicle that require a V5C document to be updated.

https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-details-registration-certificate/changes-youll-need-to-update

As I believe I’ve mentioned to you before, a lot of fairly major ‘mechanical’ alterations to a motorhome (for example, retro-fitting an Al-Ko chassis with the Air Premium X4 system) that might need notifying to a vehicle-registration authority in certain countries, do not need to be notified to the UK’s DVLA and the motorhome’s V5C document will carry no record of the modifications.

If I replaced my Rapido’s Fiat motor with a Formula One engine I would need to inform the DVLA and have the V5C altered. But (in principle at least) if I replaced the Rapido’s transmission, suspension and brakes with components from a Formula One car, I would not have to notify the DVLA about those modifications.

You might well ask about the effect of major modifications on a vehicle’s Type Approval status but - as hallii has said - the DVLA seemingly does not concern itself with such things.

hallii - 2017-03-05 6:11 PM

We, here in the UK, do not have to get any papers for any modifications to our vehicles. We can just do what we want to a vehicle as long as it is legal and does not affect the roadworthiness.

I know those less fortunate in other countries :-D have to notify the authorities of any modifications and get the correct paperwork.

Hope this answers your question.

H

Not quite H, if you replate the vehicke to a higher MTPLM, for instance, it has to be notified to the DVLA and the V5 altered to show the new revenue weight. Another example would be a change of colour or registration. So, yes, you can add a great deal of modifications to the motorhome without notifying DVLA but there are some modifications which do require notification and a new revised V5 issued.

David

My Motor home is built in Germany according 2007/46/EG. As yours. Than you have national rules to put such a motor home on the road. In there you will find all information. To change to full air suspension means that you change tons from steel to air in another outfit. That also means that the stages of manufacturing have a say in this either new or retrofit. It is just one family working together to make a motor-home do not mess around whit them or you will face the consequences.

Archived