Pitch fees Pidley Taking The P ?

Ossie

The Adults only site at Pidley Cambridge quoted me £2.50 extra per night to park our smart car next to our 6.99 long Hymer. When I asked why,I was given a lecture on pitch wear and That i could park for free in the car park. When I asked the difference between my Smart coming and going on pitch compared with a 4*4 tow car with a caravan or a heavy motorhome I didn't get one . But was then told we get free wifi so it's good value anyway. I don't mind paying my dues when justified but refuse to gives this site my custom and money and will be going elsewhere. Interested what members views are ? Paul. >:-)

I'm with you 100% on this and other ripoffs sites try to impose. Like charging £2 or £3 per day for my dogs, two small cavaliers. What's the charge for? They don't feed them or clean up their mess, we do that, so apart from charging "because they can" why do they do it? They lose my custom for sure and I wouldn't go to Pidley for the reason you've quoted.

In the six months we travelled around Europe we were only charged for our car (Toyota IQ on a trailer) once while we were in Italy, rather than stay a week we just stayed two nights. They wanted €5 per night for the car but the best bit on this site was when we went to the office to tell them that our tap was not working on our pitch, they said we were not allowed to use them, we had to get water from the sink in the shower block or drive to the MH service point.

As for the dog charge, if they provide for the dog, like a dog shower or walking field a small charge is fair but some charge the same as an extra person. Yo pay you money and you take you choice!

Mark.

My friend tows a small car on an A-Frame and has had this interesting conversation with several campsites asking why a car/motorhome combination is treated differently to a car/caravan combination but has never received a satisfactory explanation.

Last week we wanted to stay a few days on a campsite near Rollesby, Great Yarmouth whose nightly rate generally seemed quite reasonable until,it came to the dog tax - £5 per dog, per night - making it an extra £10 per night for us with a cavalier King Charles and a yorkie! Now if they were looking after them during the day or feeding them or walking them or anything then I could accept a reasonable charge. I emailed the site but have received no reply. We didn't stay there.

David

yeti - 2017-03-06 10:22 PMEqually galling is ferry deals when the caravan can go free,but none for motorhomes,not even a reduction!

I tried to book a DFDS crossing for a MH, Dover to Dunkirk, as I have done many times before, and discovered that on most days most of the time slots were sold out, even way ahead.  It began to look like their computer had been reprogrammed to accept few or no motorhomes on some crossings because there was space for other vehicle types.  I suspect this was simply a mistake and hopefully they will correct it but at any event on this occassion it cost them a customer and I booked with P&O instead.

I agree that it irritates that there are never any special offers which apply to MHs.  Again I suspect it's just a failure of their marketeers to recognise the potential value of ehat they probably regard as a minority which isn't worth bothering with.  Maybe if a journalist from MMM asked them about their marketing policy towards MHs they would sit up and take notice.

StuartO - 2017-03-07 11:25 AM
yeti - 2017-03-06 10:22 PMEqually galling is ferry deals when the caravan can go free,but none for motorhomes,not even a reduction!

I tried to book a DFDS crossing for a MH, Dover to Dunkirk, as I have done many times before, and discovered that on most days most of the time slots were sold out, even way ahead.  It began to look like their computer had been reprogrammed to accept few or no motorhomes on some crossings because there was space for other vehicle types.  I suspect this was simply a mistake and hopefully they will correct it but at any event on this occassion it cost them a customer and I booked with P&O instead.

I agree that it irritates that there are never any special offers which apply to MHs.  Again I suspect it's just a failure of their marketeers to recognise the potential value of ehat they probably regard as a minority which isn't worth bothering with.  Maybe if a journalist from MMM asked them about their marketing policy towards MHs they would sit up and take notice.

Perhaps the newly rebranded Caravan and Motorhome Club will start to persuade their ferry partners to intriduce deals.

Archived