Lithuania - any tips

We visited the baltic and east Germany and Russia 10 years ago on a cruise! Not sure I would want to go there in van.Very interesting places , not sure how you would get on buying food, , but then we where not looking for food shops!

i believe Paul (Bullet Guy) goes to those parts, so hopefully he may come up with a reply for you.

Have a good trip, and maybe you can keep a diary and tell us about it. Once we out of EU, they maybe the only places that will welcome us!!

PJay

Hi Charles,

we did the Baltic states a number of years ago. We sailed in from Helsinki on one of the regular Baltic ferries. Stayed on a temporary campsite for motorhomes just outside Tallinn just back from the sea front. It was an easy walk into the city. Tallinn has beautiful medieval architecture and is very clean. English was widely spoken and the people very friendly and helpful. No problem buying food (believe or not they had shops and supermarkets) as well as restaurants and pubs.At the time we went the sat nav did not quite extend so far east so we had to go back to the old way of navigating (Maps). The roads were good although some were dirt roads then, which have probably been tarmacked by now. We headed south into Latvia and again stayed on a temporary site for motorhomes in Riga again another beautiful city well worth exploring. Due to time restraints we drove through Lithuania and into Poland but again the countryside was stunning. We never felt threatened and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I am sure things have moved on and there are a lot more campsites and stopover places since our visit. We would love to go back and spend more time exploring.

I am sure if you Google the Baltic states you will be presented with all the info you need.

We didn't`t break down but if we had I am sure they had mechanics with the appropriate skills to carry out any repairs.

Go for it

Foxy

We toured in the Baltics 2 years ago. Our AA breakdown cover was valid for the Baltics, and our European CC insurance likewise. Our Sat Nav worked perfectly - often better than we had experience in Poland.

We found it to be not very different from any of the former Eastern European countries, plenty of shops, supermarkerts, petrol stations - am sure we could buy LPG easily too. I believe from friends that were there end of 2016 that Lidl are in Lithuania now, it really is as easy to buy food or anything else you might need as anywhere else.

Campsites were either large former USSR types, facilities always immaculate if old, or smaller sites of 20-30 vans more like Camperstops.

Rundales Palace in Latvia is worth a day at least, a great little Camperstop on the carpark with electric hookups, water etc.

In Lithuania The Hill of Crosses is an incredible place to visit, you can overnight on the aire outside for a couple of pounds.

We also visited the former secret missile base at Plokstine, you are allowed to tour the base and see what was once pointing our way.

The other main one for us was the Curonian Spit, take a short ferry crossing from the mainland (motorhome or bikes) and you can travel down to the Russian (Kaliningrad) border - miles of cycle tracks and paths, its beautiful.

We really found the Baltics very easy, the one thing we did notice was most people under say 35 spoke some English, anyone older spoke Lithuanian/ Lativan or Russian and not much else. We learned a few basic words and then waved our hands around as you do - it all worked fine.

Am sure you will absolutely love it, we are planning to go back next year to see more.

PJay - 2017-03-06 10:56 PM

We visited the baltic and east Germany and Russia 10 years ago on a cruise! Not sure I would want to go there in van.Very interesting places , not sure how you would get on buying food, , but then we where not looking for food shops!

i believe Paul (Bullet Guy) goes to those parts, so hopefully he may come up with a reply for you.

Have a good trip, and maybe you can keep a diary and tell us about it. Once we out of EU, they maybe the only places that will welcome us!!

PJay

Yep indeed i do! Hello Charles btw!!

I had planned to go last year but then at the last minute went and bust my leg so that was me done for as i couldn't drive at all for 3 months. So i already have my route planned out and will be off sometime toward end of May. Head through Germany into Poland.....my favourite country so will spend a bit of time there before setting off for Lithuania, eventually into Latvia and then Estonia.

My first time in the northern Baltics so am looking forward to it. Since Putin annexed Crimea i'm more determined than ever to see Estonia as things are getting a bit tense there now since Putin got his puppet in the White House! Time dependent i may venture off into Ukraine on the way back but i'll see how the Baltics go first.

Archived