Leaving the fold

Colin Leake

mikebeaches - 2017-03-07 9:24 PM

Good luck for the future Colin! It will come to all of us one day...

In addition to using our van, we enjoy super holidays with the Holiday Property Bond (HPB).

https://www.hpb.co.uk/

About 35 locations in the UK and around Europe - super quality upmarket self-catering.

We sometimes mix and match with the van & HPB, other times use the car.

Hope you'll keep in touch on here.

Mike

Thanks for the link. Looks interesting.

tonyg3nwl - 2017-03-08 9:12 AM

May I add my best wishes also, and trust that you get much enjoyment in the future from your new approach to retirement

It might not be too long before we decide to change direction ..

My other half has strongly indicated that south bound is a nono this year, because of ages, health issues, and what if the worst should happen leaving her stranded in a foreign country not understanding the language.

I did make a preliminary enquiry as to van value via local dealer, but was unimpressed. Potential heavy loss , so didnt pursue it. One more season this year then reconsider. En

Current idea is to go north right to the top before falling over the edge, and wander left hand down a bit for 4 to 6 weeks.

Tonyg3nwl

Luckily we had a two year old Warwick XL that dealers were vertually fighting over given you can't get.a new one till 2018

Will86 - 2017-03-08 11:37 AM

Sorry folks but another awful "Retirement" thought.

Just a change of direction but please do not ever "Retire "... that's the end of all life, so you may as well order your box now.

Every day is a new day ... look forward to what is available, the sun is up and if not what's a drop of rain and cloud. Enjoy all the comments from those who still look for the green fields as a way of life.

I'm aiming for 120 and will be hopping mad not to reach it. So why not all of you? Look up not down, that's poor thinking.

Yesterday a daughter said "what's that spot it could be cancerous" My answer "So what I'm not interested in the word I have more to do than think of that"

You are a dismal lot at times.

Will

Took my wife to the doctors a few years ago to look a some spots on her back. Turned out they were harmless but he spotted a rodent ulcer on my head. Not to worry two operations cleared it up fine.

Like others may I wish you all the best. I feel you are being realistic in accepting that what you could achieve even a few years ago is possibly now more risky. I feel sometimes that driving on our crowded roads is a hurdle I would often be happy to miss. and do try to plan journeys to minimise the stress levels.

One possibly sneaky we did was to move the caravan, as it was getting old, to Spain permanently and can just fly out when we wish to enjoy the sun. It stil woprks fin and does what we need. We still have the campervan for the Uk but as mentioned there are times when i feel it might be just as easy to book a hotel and take the train.

However, i disagree with your comment that 'you are leaving the fold' Why?? There are umpteen threads where you can make input either from direct experience or just your opinon. After all Chatterbox has no direct relevance to anyone of us, but can be fun to participate.

Hi Colin,

It happened to us four years ago, we were almost 80 at h time and decide to sell the timberland but we still kept travelling. This winter were are in Portugal near Lagos on the Algarve in a rented cottage.

Things have gone very well for us so far, we have driven down to Portugal from Santander a bit slower than in our hay days but we are still enjoying ourselves.

Good luck in the future.

Don & Maureen

Archived