Did I waste my money?

Pete-B

I bought one also and tried it out on our MH which has just had its habitation check carried out by our main dealer. I replicated the test areas that they carried out (about 20 points) and got almost identical readings except for 2 where mine were lower than the dealers. So all in all I think that the Lidl one is not too bad for the price.

Alan

The meter has sharp pins with a protective cover. To use you have to of course remove the cover and touch the pins against the surface - the manual says that if the surface is rough push harder so that the pins touch the surface.

There are 6 settings( 2 for wood) and I used the settings for wood. I wasn't looking for pure accuracy in the meter but something that I could use as a double check and to identify any trends. The readings I really wanted to double check were those that were taking on a shiny, hard, dimpled surface within the garage area where I suspected that the surface was cold and with possible surface condensation. It was a very cold morning and also a damp atmosphere when we took our MH in first thing in the morning and the readings that were higher were in the garage which does not get any normal air circulation like other internal surfaces. When I took my measurements the weather was warmer and I had both garage doors open for some time before I took the readings.

For £9.99 it is as I said just a means of keeping an eye on things. Complete with a battery and a 3 year warranty, it can't be bad.

Alan

Looks good value if only for your own peace of mind. Was told last year by one of the UK top motorhome repair men that the best damp meter is your nose... no smell of damp after your van has been shut for a day or 2 beats any motorhome dealer who might not have a nose but I bet they have a cheek LOL. Well some have a cheek with the price they offer you in PX. B-)

Archived