Capturing GPS points

Will86

I use a cheap TomTom 25.

It always takes a while to locate the GPS points. Is that due to the 'cheaper' cost.

Do the more costly Satnavs fire up quicker.

I ask as my previous one was a Navman (and cheap) that fired up very quickly.

Will

Not an expert on TomTom but some older units are slower to get going when switched on - and the position of the satnavmatters too, so make sure it's got a good signal.  One of my old Garmins can't get going at all unless it is close to the windscreen for good reception.

Do you mean it takes a while for it to initially find the satellites or slow to pinpoint your position when you are moving?

The newer satnavs should have the latest GPS chipset which should in theory be able to find the satellites quicker.

I seem to remember your TomTom isn't that old (approx 12 months). However, they possibly use a cheaper GPS chipset in the cheaper models.

Expect others will be able to shed more light on the situation.

With our TT5100 it seems to depend on how long since it's last been used, and possibly if it's in same position since last switched off.

I will be using it later this week for first time in couple of months and I expect it to take several minutes to fire up and find position, on the return journey, even if it has been switched fully off it should be much quicker to start up and find position.

My TomTom Start 20 is a similar model I guess. It varies depending on where I am I think. Sometimes its ten seconds or so sometimes over a minute. On occasion its just failed completely when I have set of driving and I just switch it off and on again and it eventually finds it.

This link relates to Garmin sat-nav devices

http://ttselectrical.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3442/~/troubleshooting-gps-and-location-problems-with-the-garmin-satnav-devices

Apparently TomTom has a “QUICKGPSFIX” feature that assists fast satellite location

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4271/~/about-quickgpsfix

My current Garmin sat-nav is much more competent at locating satellites initially and retaining their signals than its Garmin predecessor, which (logically) is what one might expect.

Robbo. The puzzle is when firing up from a long lay off and from what been said there's not a firm answer.

I've been out and about all day around Eastbourne and alls well when driving. Its years since I've been there so kept trying to go the wrong way from what the satnav said due mainly to many new roads I suspect. So eventually did what I was told and I arrived fine.

Had you updated your Tom Tom to the latest settings, TT update on an almost daily basis and I find that providing I have updated just before a new use after a layoff it finds sats. and locks on in seconds. If I haven't had time to update it can take minutes, but it always locks in the end.

TT have actually sent me an e-mail today to remind me I have not updated to the latest settings on my GO720 and also my Start 60.

Bas

I have the Tom Tom 25 and it is a lot slower the my old Tom Tom getting connected to a satellite. Once it is going it losses the signal sometimes which is infuriating as it seems to happen when I need the route the most, never does it when I am driving down a motorway.

Will86 - 2017-03-13 4:40 PM

...The puzzle is when firing up from a long lay off and from what been said there's not a firm answer...

If a sat-nav is not being used regularly , it should be anticipated that there will be a signifiicant delay (perhaps up to 5 minutes) between the device being turned on and it acquiring satellites. If the device is being used regularly, satellite acquisition after switch-on should be much faster.

That seems a firm enough answer to me, and it’s certainly how both my Garmin sat-navs behave.

Archived