Ford Transit and fiat euro 6 engines.

Last week end i had a sunny dog agility competition. In that group of about 150 motorhomes there are some mechanics working for ford, fiat, and iveco. This is what i captured during some chats inviting them for a drink. The diesel filter leak on fiat is a matter of the right torque seal. Too much torque can crack the bowl it self. Fiat euro 6 does not use AD-BLUE. And the eat up of their emission is much more complex than euro 5. Ford transit uses ad-blue but they have a complete new architecture engine. There are recalls on the timing chain time consuming replacing tooth wheels. Large on line training but whit instant support via iPad on the spot of the working place. Still problems of fiat garages of working hours paid by fiat very late on motor homes too reach fiat parts because of under body equipment fitted. Still discussions of what a motor home dealer can do on fiat about the brakes. The border line seems to be something between love and hate.

Monique

The plastic-bodied fuel-filter with replaceable element (1st attached photo) that has a well-known reputation for leakage was replaced by a disposable ‘canister’ type (2nd attached photo) when the X290 Ducato range was introduced in 2014 - so fuel-leakage from the filter should not be a Ducato Euro 6 potential problem.

Although the majority of current Euro 6 Ducato powerplants do not require AbBlue, a specific version of the 130 Multijet 2 and the 150 “ECOJET” do. Details on Page 14 of this link:

https://www.fiatprofessional.co.uk/CMSEN/Pdf/Fiat-Professional-Ducato-Goods-Brochure.pdf

Apparently (article in Camping-Car magazine Issue 288) Fiat has already announced that, by the end of 2017, all new Ducato motors will use AdBlue to comply with the 3rd stage of Euro 6 that was introduced on 1 January 2017.

I’m not sure what your reference to timing-chain recalls refers to. All Euro 6 Ducato motors have a timing-belt, not a timing-chain. The 2.2litre motors fitted to Citroen Relay/Peugeot Boxer vehicles had a timing-chain, but their latest Euro 6 2.0litre motor has a timing-belt. The Euro 6 “EcoBlue” 2.0litre motor fitted to Transit Mk 8s also has a timing-belt (see link below).

http://www.ngfglasscord.com/en-gb/news/latest-news/fords-new-panther-two-litre-ecoblue-advanced-diesel-engine-uses-belt-in-oil-technology

I definitely do not understand your statement

"Still discussions of what a motor home dealer can do on fiat about the brakes. The border line seems to be something between love and hate."

filter.jpg.d93f95c49cd6811234d8e0869e32f845.jpg

canister.jpg.f4fb8e3e4fa72515b1aab98fcb54a18c.jpg

"The Euro 6 “EcoBlue” 2.0litre motor fitted to Transit Mk 8s also has a timing-belt"

The "Ecoblue" engine has 2 timing belts - a "wet" belt from crankshaft to fuel pump & a "dry" belt from the fuel pump to the camshafts. There is a recall for "engine noise" that is replacing parts for the cam drive system - my new Transit is currently in having this done, but I do not know how many vehicles are affected. My van went through the Chausson plant mid December, was delivered to the dealer just before Chistmas last year & I collected on the 3rd March.

While the service receptionist briefly showed me the worksheet for the recall that detailed the works to be carried out, parts & tools etc. required, I didn't get a good enough look to see at that was being replaced. There was quite a list of parts - a dozen or more parts IIRC - and the workshop manual type drawings I saw showed dismantling the "dry" part of the cam drive (though this would also have to be done to get to the "wet" part). The van was requested to be dropped off early, as the work would take all day.

Nigel B

Me too derek. But i prefer a chain to drive the camshafts. Anyway our group engineers are well informed.Jaguar land rover had always ford engines built in the UK and still uses them in the larger ones.But they have now their own new engine plant in the uk. And yes they had noise problems on their ingenium diesel engines. And belt related. Apperently these new technic has its problems. If not related to inferior chinese parts produced in mass production. Like the seat pedestals in the ford transit which had a lot of problems whit their top cover. And all transits are now produced in turkey. Not sure if the engines are still assembled in the ford dagenham plant. Thanks for the instant follow- up which is very much appreciated by our club.And of course for the ones who care what happens under the bonnet.

Yes agree re the transit recall, we went to pick up out new benimar monday to be told it has to go to ford to be looked at, tapping noise on tickover which disappears when the clutch is engaged so Im not sure if that relates to the cam gears? we were originally told it was an Idler issue??

Regards

Andy

Archived