Norwegian Customs Crackdown

Don Madge

I came across this article in the Norwegian press http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article1382965.ece

on the crackdown by Norwegian customs on duty free imports. This could effect motor homers if the crackdown carries on into next summer.

Officially you can only import upto 10kg of meat, meat products, cheese and foodstuffs into Norway from another EU country.

We have crossed in and out of Norway many times over the years and have never been stopped, there must be many more who have had the same experience as us. We are planning a visit next May/June so we will keep a close eye on the situation as we usually stock up with food stuffs before visiting

Scandinavia.

Safe travelling

Don

docted - 2006-12-24 3:36 PM

Don I am sorry I cannot resist it is there any particular custom they are clamping down on or I am still ok to dance nude round the Maypole on the summer solstice with a carnation between my teeth.

Happy Christmas

Docted

Hi Doc,

Ive been waiting for some one to comment, I realised after I'd posted the heading I had left myself wide open.

I did the maypole thingy one year with disastrous results, it was so cold my brass monkey was rendered incomplete 8-) 8-)

Happy Christmas and a peaceful New Year.

Don

• 2 months later...

Hello,

A couple of years ago I was stopped on the Swedish/Norwegian border at Svinesund on the E6, 'nice and nasty' don't they realise that if you use your mirrors you can see 'nasty' egging 'nice' on. I began to wonder if they wanted to let me into their beautiful country. This was the first time in18 years of regular several times a year visits that this had happened to me. A motorhome with me, wife and a couple of dogs on board, no they were not interested in the dogs pet passports, don't think they understood them.

The Norwegian papers regularly carry articless about motorhomes, and there are many in holiday season, rushing up the E6 to the far north as contributing nothing to the economy as we bring everything we need, do not spend and just want to empty our toilets in Norway..really. My vehicle needs frequent fuel stops so does this not count, in any case we shop locally, by the time the wife has loaded the clothes (hers mainly) there isn't much margin left for other things. So we have to buy or starve and I prefer not to starve.

A word of caution though, last year the papers there carried an article concerning a German visitor, he had gone on a fishing holiday and was taking his trailer load back home. He was stopped at the border, asked what he had and after inspection was informed that 15kgs was his limit to take out. They left him with his 15kgs and removed the rest and confiscated, bet they dined well for a week or two.

Rumour related he was last sighted and heard to be muttering 'dumpf kops' in reference to the customs people. He had spent a fortune in Norway (don't we all) for his fishing trip and was quite upset.

Archived