Engine earth

Josse

I had an interesting earth problem on my 2000 2.8 Fiat Ducato gradually the starter motor would turn slower and slower I removed the earth lead gave it a good clean and refitted it but still the same.

Next I connected battery jump lead from batter directly to engine spun over fine I thought it must be a bad earth cable. I removed the earth cable from my car and fitted it to the Ducato still the same problem so I thought the problem must be in the chassis. I gently tapped around the earth strap with a welders pointed chipping hammer and it went straight through the chassis as it was badly corroded, I cut back to solid metal about 3 square inches I cut a patch to fit, I mig welded it in place with a nut on the inside then fitted the original earth cable problem solved, engine spun over like new.

Hi Josse,

Thanks for the interesting post. I deduce from your post that there must be two parts to your engine earthing. You mention the connection from battery negative to the chassis, as is commonly used in cars, but I would then expect a separate connection from engine to chassis, possibly a braid.

On my 2006 X244 Ducato the earthing differs from your description. It consists of a single cable from the battery negative to a starter motor stud on the bell housing. This cable is tapped by a flag terminal to make a chassis connection below the front end of the battery.

Alan

Archived