Forth Road Bridge Closures

Dave225

Please have a reag

da at the attached news article re the last time the bridge was closed because a truck ignored the closure signs.

Note from the picture the idendity of the truck, then note the driver required an interpreter, yet he had been living here for 9 years?????

Fined, banned but states he has no income so fine not likely to be paid. I suspect he will be back driving hrer very soon using a Pol;ish liicence.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/our-region/edinburgh/lorry-driver-fined-and-banned-for-blocking-forth-road-bridge-1-4392536

Note that last night the bridge was again closed due to truck blowing over. Again a foreign registered vehicle. The driver has been charged with dangerous driving but bailed to appear at a later date. Odds on him not appearing anyone???

Large warning signes everywhere but th3ese drivers cannot read English, but are allowed on our roads. What madness is this.

The fine seems appropriate to me though the bigger penalty is loss of job and having to re-sit his HGV test. I doubt the truck was foreign registered though that's of little importance even if it was. Currie European are Scottish based company from Dumfries "providing logistics and transport services across western Europe" according to it's website.

Using an interpreter in court is certainly wise and any half decent solicitor would insist on it. I'm "ok'ish" with German, but if i was charged with an offence in Germany, i'd insist on an interpreter even though many German police speak English.

At least that driver was brought to justice and paying the consequences which is more than can be said for this lying reprobate who killed six people and escaped justice, not to mention being caught twice driving a car without a licence.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/dec/09/glasgow-bin-lorry-crash-private-prosecution-driver-harry-clarke-rejected

Dave225 - 2017-03-15 7:12 PM

Large warning signes everywhere but th3ese drivers cannot read English, but are allowed on our roads. What madness is this.

Wheras all the British drivers going abroad are fluent in the language of every country they pass through *-)

Seriously I thought EU approved road signs are supposed to be a pictorial illustration for drivers who don't speak all the languages?

Bulletguy - 2017-03-15 8:19 PM

Currie European are Scottish based company from Dumfries "providing logistics and transport services across western Europe" according to it's website.

Unless things have changed many of the tractor units pulling Currie of Dumfries semi-trailers are owned and operated by sub contractors - small hauliers and owner drivers without the resources to find and service customers directly.

I'd say that the truck is registered in mainland Europe, it looks like it's reg plate is on the nearside, ours are on the offside. Curries have depot's in Europe. I wonder if the driver is working out of Poland and getting paid from there but has a british address so he could recieve some kind of benifits. (mainly family ones). I'm not saying he is but something doesn't seem correct to me.

I do know one thing though, it a lot cheaper to run trucks from the EU to the UK and back using foreign trucks with eastern European drivers.

Dave

John52 - 2017-03-15 8:27 PM

Bulletguy - 2017-03-15 8:19 PM

Currie European are Scottish based company from Dumfries "providing logistics and transport services across western Europe" according to it's website.

Unless things have changed many of the tractor units pulling Currie of Dumfries semi-trailers are owned and operated by sub contractors - small hauliers and owner drivers without the resources to find and service customers directly.

He was possibly driving through an Agency which many truck companies in UK use. When my son left the forces he drove for one before signing up to the London Fire brigade.

nowtelse2do - 2017-03-15 8:50 PM

I'd say that the truck is registered in mainland Europe, it looks like it's reg plate is on the nearside, ours are on the offside. Curries have depot's in Europe. I wonder if the driver is working out of Poland and getting paid from there but has a british address so he could recieve some kind of benifits. (mainly family ones). I'm not saying he is but something doesn't seem correct to me.

I do know one thing though, it a lot cheaper to run trucks from the EU to the UK and back using foreign trucks with eastern European drivers.

Dave

Dave......Polish trucks are no different to ours in that respect. The plates are centre mounted between the rear light clusters. Same on the front too.

That's a Scania tractor unit on a 15 plate so less than two years old. The format is UK....two letters, two digits followed by three letters so it's a UK registered truck Dave. The digits and letters on all Polish plates are also thinner than ours.

I know Stobart was considering shipping their fleet out to Netherlands when the price of diesel went through the roof and there are certainly UK companies with HGV's registered in EU, generally Belgium. It makes sense, not only is the fuel much cheaper, so is the tax.

Something that may have an impact on foreign drivers is the fact that as the new Forth crossing nears completion, and the road network on either side as well, there is a lot more signage to contend with, as well as lanes being coned off. Probably OK if you're crossing every day, but if it's only now and again and it's a bit different every time, well, it confuses me enough.

candapack - 2017-03-16 11:38 AM

Something that may have an impact on foreign drivers is the fact that as the new Forth crossing nears completion, and the road network on either side as well, there is a lot more signage to contend with, as well as lanes being coned off. Probably OK if you're crossing every day, but if it's only now and again and it's a bit different every time, well, it confuses me enough.

I noticed last night looking at the reports even the media seem confused!

This is the truck relating to the incident; https://stv.tv/news/east-central/1377770-forth-road-bridge-closed-after-lorry-overturns-in-high-winds/

Yet other reports show an entirely different truck!

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-03-14/overturned-lorry-closes-forth-road-bridge-after-strong-winds/

Guest pelmetman

They need to change the signs to Polish ;-) .......

Like they did the don't drink & drive signs around Boston :-| .........

Bulletguy - 2017-03-16 2:58 PM

This is the truck relating to the incident; https://stv.tv/news/east-central/1377770-forth-road-bridge-closed-after-lorry-overturns-in-high-winds/

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-03-14/overturned-lorry-closes-forth-road-bridge-after-strong-winds/

Yes, they seem to be getting 2 separate incidents confused, one on Tuesday and one in January.

pelmetman - 2017-03-16 3:16 PM

You can't even read the signs on time limits out of UK.......and that's in English though it might just as well be written in Martian to you. *-)

candapack - 2017-03-16 3:18 PM

Bulletguy - 2017-03-16 2:58 PM

Yes, they seem to be getting 2 separate incidents confused, one on Tuesday and one in January.

There are many incidents. This was filmed on the Humber Bridge closed to high sided vehicles. Even the dashcam footage was taken from a truck!

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/lorries-ignore-humber-bridge-closure-despite-storm-doris-bringing-high-winds/story-30157975-detail/story.html

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2017-03-16 4:23 PM

You can't even read the signs on time limits out of UK.......and that's in English though it might just as well be written in Martian to you. *-)

Funny when I was serving for Her Madge and spending months or years abroad, I don't recall there being any signs about time limits? ;-) ......

Maybe you should send her an email, as all those squadies or crabfats in Germany or Cyprus etc are breaking the law according to you >:-) ........

pelmetman - 2017-03-16 4:35 PM

Bulletguy - 2017-03-16 4:23 PM

Funny when I was serving for Her Madge and spending months or years abroad, I don't recall there being any signs about time limits? ;-) ......

Maybe you should send her an email, as all those squadies or crabfats in Germany or Cyprus etc are breaking the law according to you >:-) ........

Working outside UK whether BFPO or any other employment is not holidaying.......though in your case it probably was. *-)

You aren't employed overseas and fully aware of the 3 month rule so it's useless making excuses now. Ignore all you like.....at your peril.

Apologies for any misunderstanding. Yes, the truck was British registered but using a foreign driver. That actually was the point I tried to put across, rather badly, but the driver was not. The one last night was a foreign driver in a foreign registered truck. Country of origin as yet not published. One of those ones where the trailer is as long as the front part. I also suspect he was empty as he blew over very easily and no load was spilled.

I also can confiorm that there were warning signs from the east side of Edinburgh right through that the bridge was closed to high sided vehicles. My gripe was that the 1st driver, who had lived and driven here for 9 years evidently could not read any of them, one does wonder how he managed to get his pay checks cashed and live etc in Macclesfield Maybe all Macclesfield speaks Polish, I do not know. . The 2nd one evidently managed to get through all Europe and from England up here but again does not recognise a flashing warning sign. When you see big flashing lights it is usual to think that maybe something is not correct and if in doubt, stop and ask.

Of course the other big question that was raised after the 1st incident, was where were the Plods as they were supposed to have a presence at each end of the bridge in these circumstances.

As for UK drivers having the same incident in the EU I suspect that the driver would spend several days in jail before being allowed out on a very high bail.

I have driven in Europe and many countries beyond over the years and although I may not speak the languages, road signs do tend to follow similar patterns and warning ones are usually not missed.

The result in both times was major disruption to thousands of people trying to get home from work. I am sure they were all chuffed at the actions of these drivers. Accidents if you wish are acceptable, as they are not usually deliberate. These were deliberate cases of negligence, and yes, the owners of the Britsh truck will I am sure face a huge fine, so maybe they shoudl pick and train their drivers a bit more carefully.

When you see a sign 'closed to high sided vehicles' - even if you can read it - what does it actually mean?

Define 'High Sided Vehicle' - and height is only partly relevant - what about the weight because if its heavy enough it will stay upright whatever the wind.

Easy to be wise after the event when its blown over. Not so easy to know what to do when you just see a sign written in a foreign language amongst all the other things a driver has to look out for :-S

Its one of those things (like falling asleep at the wheel) that has never happened to me, but might have happened to any of us?

Dave225 - 2017-03-16 7:43 PM

Apologies for any misunderstanding. Yes, the truck was British registered but using a foreign driver. That actually was the point I tried to put across, rather badly, but the driver was not. The one last night was a foreign driver in a foreign registered truck. Country of origin as yet not published. One of those ones where the trailer is as long as the front part. I also suspect he was empty as he blew over very easily and no load was spilled.

Whoah.....hang on a minute here. "The one last night".......are you saying there's now been another truck gone over only last night?

Reason i ask is i noticed the media are using two entirely different photographs, but describing the same incident!

]My gripe was that the 1st driver, who had lived and driven here for 9 years evidently could not read any of them, one does wonder how he managed to get his pay checks cashed and live etc in Macclesfield Maybe all Macclesfield speaks Polish, I do not know. .

Sorry Dave but i think the above regards language is pure conjecture!

I read no reports stating the driver was unable to read or speak English.......but what i did read was the driver had an interpreter in court. BIG difference!! As i said in a previous post, that makes common sense and assuming he had legal representation in court, any half decent solicitor would insist on it.

The 2nd one evidently managed to get through all Europe and from England up here but again does not recognise a flashing warning sign. When you see big flashing lights it is usual to think that maybe something is not correct and if in doubt, stop and ask.

Obviously you didn't see the link i posted about British HGV drivers ignoring the closure signs on the Humber Bridge last month?!! Maybe they were all dyslexic? ;-)

As for UK drivers having the same incident in the EU I suspect that the driver would spend several days in jail before being allowed out on a very high bail.

More conjecture Dave.

I have driven in Europe and many countries beyond over the years and although I may not speak the languages, road signs do tend to follow similar patterns and warning ones are usually not missed.

So have i.........and not afraid to admitting the classic error of entering a dual carriageway on the wrong side! VERY easily done but you soon realise something isn't quite right when cars coming at you are all flashing their lights!! (lol)

Archived