Mobile Phone Coverage in Europe

MagHal

Does anyone have any views on the best UK network for European coverage? Last year we toured France down to the Ardeche, down to Carcasonne and across to Aquitaine and Lacanau before returning home. I paid EE their standard tariff for data roaming and I was appalled at how lousy the service was. Connections were perfunctory and load speeds were a crawl. OK so it no doubt depends on locality etc. But I can't help feeling I got a bum deal or perhaps its normal?

I use Vodafone and get fantastic coverage all over France , Spain and Germany. I pay £3.00 per day for Euro service only on the days I use it.

I also connect my mobile to the tv.

I can only say it's a faultless service.

Den - 2017-03-16 1:17 PM

I use Vodafone and get fantastic coverage all over France , Spain and Germany. I pay £3.00 per day for Euro service only on the days I use it.

I also connect my mobile to the tv.

I can only say it's a faultless service.

Yes but your paying a hell of a premium for it. I go away to Europe for several months and the Vodafone deal works out at £90 a month as you only have to connect to the internet or send a single or call to trigger the £3 charge. Their new Red Bundle sounds ok but its quite limited as are most of them. Even the 3 deal is very much throttled although it appears to be about the best.

The issue is that a lot of these so called inclusive roaming deals are tied to one provider in each country which is why the service out in the sticks can be bad. The Vodafone one you have will be superb as it latches onto whichever provider has the best signal but as said you pay for that privilege.

Its just a pity the EU are about to flatten all roaming charges and it looks like we wont be able to take advantage of that.

Vodafone even in the sticks is far superior to the U.K.

It does roam to different providers and works really well

My mobile has to stay on due to business. But when I finally retire I'll put in airplane mode and have a coffee in McDonald's.

Ninian - 2017-03-16 8:02 PM

Hi, We use the 3 feel at home when abroad. No problems at all very good.

Likewise, we use 3 and we have not had any connection problems anywhere in France Spain, well really all of EU. we find that to be able to use it away as if we were at home is great, they also allow tethering by cable or as a WiFi hotspot, makes it so easy to use your laptop as well. All for, in our case, £10 per month Sim only deal.

Bas

my vodafone Red deal (using it now) goves great coverage all pver france/spain.

£15 a month gives me unltd mins, unltd txt, unltd picture messages and 2gb data roaming.

in the uk, i get unltd mins/texts and 5gb of data.

all data (here and at home) can be shared/tethered....i am currently tethering this i

ad to my iphoone, no problem.

ok, if 2gb isnt enough, then there is a larger package with 4gbof roaming data, but so far, in 8 weeks, no hidden charges at all and really good reception here and back home.

In my case I have a 1 year 3(three) dongle for the lap-top and its a waste of money, thought the problem was me, but after speaking with others in the area's which I needed to use it , I was told coverage is few and far between. So thats my take on it.

On a recent 9 week trip I used 3 feel at home for the phone and a 3 mifi We went through France, Spain and Portugal and had excellent connections on both at all times and what's more no big bills to come home to.

The wife had a vodaphone and was afraid to use it as the costs were horrendous.

RD

ROND - 2017-03-17 8:54 PM

On a recent 9 week trip I used 3 feel at home for the phone and a 3 mifi We went through France, Spain and Portugal and had excellent connections on both at all times and what's more no big bills to come home to.

The wife had a vodaphone and was afraid to use it as the costs were horrendous.

RD

switching to a vodafone ared deal mens all the roaming is included, unltd mins and 2gb of data, with no extra charges at all.

phones are only 'horrendously expensive' if your trying to do something with the package that it wasnt designed for.....using a non-roaming package for roaming.....

i used to have the £3 a day one.....now my package is a couple of quid more a konth but all my overseas calls/data is included.....anytime.

It doesn't matter which network you are on in the UK, when abroad if you get a poor signal just change the network manually on you phone. The phone will automatically select your networks preferred partner, but there is nothing to stop you changing it.

Archived