Motorhome insurance

tonyg3nwl

My insurance currently via Caravan Club is due for renewal from April first.

I have spent time today searching for alternative quotes. I was horrified to receive a price from Caravan Club almost twice the cost of last year. I know insurance has gone up, but that is outrageous.over 425 pounds.

Alternative quotes 387 from caravan guard,347 from red star, caravan camping club at 310, and lv at 305 basic quotes then the usual add ons such as loss of keys, legal cover, mileage excesses, windscreen excess, etc.

Comparing policy conditions, I have opted to go with Caravan and camping club, at a final figure just under 345, some 70 pounds less than Caravan Club, .

I wonder if others have found similar variations. Of course ages of drivers, claims history , driving history etc are all variables that affect costs.

Tonyg3nwl

hi tony ive had the opposite this year i thought i would try the caravan club as they said they would beat any quote by £25 in fact they beat my adrian flux quote by £65 so with them this year as you have found next year it will probably double so it all goes around again

The Caravan Club went from £250.00 to £500.00 when we changed vans, I had a no fault bump that no claim was made on they then wanted £800.00 searched over the phone and shield direct quoted me £240.00 for the same cover this year it was £255.00 so I didn't change.

Pete

We have been insured with Comfort for the last six years and the premiums have hardly changed at all.

Just been quoted £235 with European breakdown £60.50 extra. £1 cheaper than last year. So will be staying with them for another year.

Have been with Safeguard for a number of years and always found their prices pretty good, as it included full EU breakdown.

However, the current policy expires on 5th May, and we expect (hope!!) to pick up new MH on about 25th April.....so insurance is going to be interesting. Wondering if we might just be best to lapse old policy rather than be charged for a change, which could be work out cheaper than paying the fee to change?

Also whilst very satisfied with Safeguard, we shall acquire FIAT EU breakdown (2/3 years?)with the new van so don't need ( I think?) a policy which includes it, and unless they have changed, it cannot be excluded from Safeguard's Policy?.

Anyone had a similar situation, I should be interested to hear how they worked it?

Keith T - 2017-03-20 5:17 PM

Have been with Safeguard for a number of years and always found their prices pretty good, as it included full EU breakdown.

However, the current policy expires on 5th May, and we expect (hope!!) to pick up new MH on about 25th April.....so insurance is going to be interesting. Wondering if we might just be best to lapse old policy rather than be charged for a change, which could be work out cheaper than paying the fee to change?

Also whilst very satisfied with Safeguard, we shall acquire FIAT EU breakdown (2/3 years?)with the new van so don't need ( I think?) a policy which includes it, and unless they have changed, it cannot be excluded from Safeguard's Policy?.

Anyone had a similar situation, I should be interested to hear how they worked it?

Have you read the Fiat breakdown cover? We had it with our van when new, but still took the cover with the insurers Does fiat cover for getting you back to UK? Worth reading it before you decide. As many of the companies cover europe as standard, so cost may not be much different. Hope you get your new van on time

PJay

For years I shopped about and always ended up with CCC good policy and cheaper than caravan club and all the rest. Plus from a mates experience I know they handle claims well. Now I just stay with them. It gives uo a bit, I ring them, whinge a bit and they knock a bit off.

In fact as I prefer their sites, and their overseas travel is way superior to CC and the sub is £13 a year less, I'm going to kick caravan club into touch. Laying for both us pointless when the cheaper one is better.

Archived