Roller painting which white paint

Stephen Buckland

Hi Stephen & welcome to the forum

Many years ago I painted an Ambulance self conversion. At the time Cellulose coachpaint was still available, which I used & applied with the largest "Peter Paint" pads I could find.

Considering the size of the van I got a very reasonable finish without any brush marks.

Good preparation is the key to a good finish

You will need an Automotive paint suitable for road/outdoor environs, so prudent to approach the trade outlets for options for painting by hand.

I assume you are talking about the cab area, if not it may be prudent to enquire in the Marine market for paint suitable for the habitation body. (GRP)

It may be that the gel coat could be revived without the need for painting.?

Google 'roll and tip'. this is best method of applying paint by hand and will give you a great finish with a coach enamel designed for hand application.

Basically, spread the paint evenly using the roller and then stroke out the roller bubbles and dimples using light strokes of the tip of fine quality brush. Boat owners have painted their topsides using this method for decades.

Another great coach enamel, formulated originally for hand painting vehicles, is Tekaloid from Smith & Allan.

https://www.smithandallan.com/products/tekaloid-paint/

In the VW world the paint that has achieved legendary status is Rustoleum Combi Colour anti rust paint.

There are numerous 'how to do it with Rustoleum' posts with a staggering numbers of pages, see this example of scores of people painting their van and claiming 'Spray' like finishes.

200 pages of hints and tips going back to 2005 : http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=18751&start=75

Aptly named 'Paint your wagon with a Roller'.

Loads and loads of votes for Rustoleum on many Forums, which has really good anti rust properties as well.

The paint was developed by a Trawler captain (or something or other) who noticed his Ship did not rust where the Fish were landed were it was covered in Fish Oil.

If you are also looking for good chassis paint, it is very good. Even on top of Rust scale, provided you get rid of the heavy scale that can trap water.

And no, it doesn't make your van smell like a Sardine Can!!.

Archived