Rear Lights on a Panel Van

Dave225

I own a Globecar campervan but one thing is niggling me. In the hopefully unlikely event of a rear bulb blowing how do I actually change the bulb? According to Fiat the rear light units come out in a single item by undoing the 2 nuts on the inside of the body. Unfortunatetly access to these nuts is at first sight blooming difficult. Firstly on the nearside there is a gas locker unit and a shelf unit on the offside. There are holes in the shelf unit so the lower nut is just about accesible, with a multi jointed arm. But on both sides the top nuts are hifdden behind trim panels. I auess these have to be removed but they appear to be anchored behind the rubber seal around the rear doors and a few self tapping screws.

Has anyone done this and is it easier than it looks?

Yes I've done it, and no, it's not easy! On mine the washroom is in the corner, and has a removable panel, fixed with ten (yes, really,TEN) tiny Philips screws, all of which were difficult to remove.Once inside, you are correct, there are two 8mm nuts, one top and one bottom. You will need a double depth 8mm socket to remove them, as the thread is too long to allow a normal socket onto the nuts .Once removed, in theory the whole light unit should just push out, but it won't, because it will have been stuck in with sealer. You'll need to prise it out gently.Have some Superglue handy to stick the lens back together, because you'll probably break off the corner. As its such a pig of a job I replaced all the bulbs whilst it was apart.

TIP. Check that all bulbs work before putting it back together, to make sure you don't have a faulty new bulb.

Don't ask how I know this. And have a flexible magnet handy for when you drop the nut. Don't ask, etc.

As they say in all the best manuals, refitting is the reverse proceedure, except that I only used four screws to hold the panel in the washroom.

And of course while you're doing this, hold the torch in your third hand!

Have fun. >:-(

....likewise with mine, Colin, to run the reversing camera cable.

The Globecar grey plastic trim on mine (at least for the rear quarter panel) is tucked under the door seal, and largely held in place by (re-usable, as it happened) double-sided foam sticky tape.,

Derek Uzzell - 2017-03-22 8:16 AM

It’s not just the Germans...

http://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t3494-rear-lights-bulb-replacement

http://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t3145-changing-a-light-bulb-on-a-symbol

(Patricia May für führer!)

Off topic but my brother has just bought a BMW 3 series which instead of a spare wheel has a drive-flat tyre, which is good for 50 miles at 30 mph.... which they say can get you home or to a garage. He regularly drives to the centre of France so I asked him what happens on the Sunday when you set out to return, and then on Monday when the garage opens it doesn't stock that stylish low-profile tyre. Maybe a spare tyre with luggage neatly stowed inside? Oh no, the front and rear tyre widths are different.

Thank you for the replies. I admit I at first thought I was missing something obvious, but it appears not. I will explore removing the trim panels at leisure and although I do have the box spanner, may get a long socket as well. It will also give me a preparation for when I fit a towbar and have to get the elctrics done,

Archived