Happy with where you live?

Bulletguy

Just throwing this out as i'm curious. As the thread title says, "are you happy with where you live"? If not, why, and have you ever considered moving?

During my time at work, i often laughed at the folk continually grumbling and complaining about "noisy neighbours", "drinkers", "rough sods" etc etc......yet the minute i suggested if it really was as bad as they described, why didn't they simply move, that would be met with wails of "why should i"?

Weird. :-S

What is it with this "hair shirt" mentality? Wherever you go there will always be good areas and some bad and you don't need move more than a few miles to be in a good area.

Very! Great neighbours, great community and in one of the most stunning parts of the UK IMO. Its a 40 mile round trip to the nearest decent Cheese shop though. :(

Having worked and travelled all over the UK apart from maybe moving abroad I Wouldnt want to be anywhere else.

I would quite like to retire properly to the south of France though as the UK weather is a pain and as you know there are a lot of political reasons. :D I suspect that probably wont happen now but you never know.

Bottom Shagna though as Antony calls it is great thanks.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2017-03-22 5:28 PM

Very! Great neighbours, great community and in one of the most stunning parts of the UK IMO. Its a 40 mile round trip to the nearest decent Cheese shop though. :(

Having worked and travelled all over the UK apart from maybe moving abroad I Wouldnt want to be anywhere else.

I would quite like to retire properly to the south of France though as the UK weather is a pain and as you know there are a lot of political reasons. :D I suspect that probably wont happen now but you never know.

Given your politics Barry I reckon you'd feel at home in Sparkbrook :D .......No doubt they could do with someone with such missionary zeal ;-) ......even if your experience so far has been limited to just the position :-> .......

pelmetman - 2017-03-22 6:27 PM

Given your politics Barry I reckon you'd feel at home in Sparkbrook :D .......No doubt they could do with someone with such missionary zeal ;-) ......even if your experience so far has been limited to just the position :-> .......

At least I can still manage it. (lol)

No cities for me thanks. Always been a country boy at heart. OooAaar! Or summut.

Barryd999 - 2017-03-22 6:43 PM

pelmetman - 2017-03-22 6:27 PM

At least I can still manage it. (lol)

No cities for me thanks. Always been a country boy at heart. OooAaar! Or summut.

Me neither. I overlook open farmland and even during the day, you can hear a pin drop. If a police patrol car ever drives up the road it's "an event". Might see one.....every couple of years or so! John Caudwell (Phones4u bloke) occasionally flies over in his helicopter to one of his mansions a few miles away.

Even during my night clubbing years or nights out at a Heavy Rock pub, i liked leaving it all behind after a night and lived well out of the nearest town.

The only city i really like is Berlin.....totally laid back, calm, easy to get around, huge wide pavements. Busy traffic...but nowhere even close to the madness of London city.

Bulletguy - 2017-03-22 5:02 PM

During my time at work, i often laughed at the folk continually grumbling and complaining about "noisy neighbours", "drinkers", "rough sods" etc etc......yet the minute i suggested if it really was as bad as they described, why didn't they simply move, that would be met with wails of "why should i"?

If you simply regard the place you live in as a ' house ' then you may find it easy to leave.

If you have spent many years of time and effort creating a ' home ' why should you be expected to move out because of the activities of anti-social neighbours.

Ignoring peoples' concerns with a policy of " If you don't like it you should leave" didn't work out too well in the EU referendum.

:-(

[

Ignoring peoples' concerns with a policy of " If you don't like it you should leave" didn't work out too well in the EU referendum.

Would say that we have not left yet, but when we do, I think you will all be pleasantly surprised how nice it will be not having UNELECTED gnomes in Brussels , telling what we can and can't do

Bit like getting out o the bed of the enemies

PJay.

malc d - 2017-03-23 9:22 AM

Bulletguy - 2017-03-22 5:02 PM

If you simply regard the place you live in as a ' house ' then you may find it easy to leave.

If you have spent many years of time and effort creating a ' home ' why should you be expected to move out because of the activities of anti-social neighbours.

Hhmmm........my mum spent 51 years of her married life 'creating a home'. Whilst she didn't move out because of anti-social neighbours, she found it no problem to sell up and move on to pastures new in a one bed flat. But then having lived through the war years my mum could best be described as 'no nonsense tough stuff'......didn't have time for wimps, moaners or malingerers. She just got on with it! ;-)

PJay - 2017-03-23 12:10 PM

Would say that we have not left yet, but when we do, I think you will all be pleasantly surprised how nice it will be not having UNELECTED gnomes in Brussels , telling what we can and can't do

PJay.

And i always thought this Gnome had been elected? :-S

Farage.jpg.e4c6318090c7aa087edcbdd39ce5d0c0.jpg

PJay - 2017-03-23 12:10 PM

[

PJay.

Yes because our government has a great track record for not telling us what to do or making stupid legislation doesn't it?

*-)

It's only the UK that takes every directive from the eu verbatim and adds a few for good measure. We are in for a surprise alright but not a pleasant one.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2017-03-23 3:05 PM

It's only the UK that takes every directive from the eu verbatim and adds a few for good measure. .

So who's fault is that?......our bureaucrats or their's? *-) ........Maybe once we've left they can be found proper jobs.....propping up the dole queue >:-) .......

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2017-03-23 2:40 PM

But then having lived through the war years my mum could best be described as 'no nonsense tough stuff'......didn't have time for wimps, moaners or malingerers. She just got on with it! ;-)

Blimey I hope they haven't got wifi upstairs 8-) .....

Coz she's going to be in for a shock as to how young Bullet turned out :D .......

I'm happy enough-ish with where we currently live.

It's not as nice as where we were, but they've built 300 house on the fields where we were (with 3, 4 bedroomed detached houses shoehorned onto the plot where "our" cottage was)..and with all of the trees and hedges all grubbed out, for a further 900!...

That aside, I can't say that those supposedly "..UNELECTED gnomes in Brussels.." would've had any negative bearing on peoples' day to day lives 'round here...and what "visible foreigners" we do have, are predominantly Indian, Pakistani etc, so nowt to do with the EU anyway..

PJay- As you're anticipating us all to being "pleasantly surprised" at how "nice" it's all going to be, can I ask what is it that "Brussels" is supposedly doing now, that is making your town less "nice"?....do you have loads of EU-migrant "ne'er do wells"...?

(..having just asked that, I do recall that previously, you have even blamed "BRUSSELS" and "immigrants" for the lack of campsite space in the UK though!? (lol) )

pelmetman - 2017-03-23 3:09 PM

It's only the UK that takes every directive from the eu verbatim and adds a few for good measure. .

So who's fault is that?......our bureaucrats or their's? *-) ........Maybe once we've left they can be found proper jobs.....propping up the dole queue >:-) .......

Errrr. ours. We love rules and regulations here. Government likes to keep us all in check as well. Just wait until they have a totally free reign on us. Dont forget they are about to import all EU law into ours anyway, then they will start adding a few new ones just to justify all their jobs and and a bit more "Control". We should have just adopted the French method. Look at an EU law, if it looks like a good un then use it, if we dont like it put it in the bin. We are our own worst enemy when it comes to following rules.

Anyway I dunno what all the fuss is about as nobody can ever name any crap EU laws anyway. Go on! Lets hear a few. If you mention Bendy Bananas ill be on the next plane to Calpe and stuff a whole bunch in yer gob! (without peeling them).

Barryd999 - 2017-03-23 4:50 PM

Anyway I dunno what all the fuss is about as nobody can ever name any crap EU laws anyway. Go on! Lets hear a few. If you mention Bendy Bananas ill be on the next plane to Calpe and stuff a whole bunch in yer gob! (without peeling them).

Vacuum cleaners!? (lol) (lol) ..

I seem to recall a few on here getting all irate at the thought of "Brussels" (A.K.A- "Johnnie foreigner") telling us how powerful "our" vacuum cleaner can be..

(Whilst forgetting that "we" probably no longer don't make the damned thing here anyway! *-) )

Errrr. ours. We love rules and regulations here. Government likes to keep us all in check as well.

True......Beano boy thinks he can plead ignorance of those rules and regs and please himself swanning around Spain. He will be in for a shock one day when it catches up with him.

Calpe??? 8-)

That's where this low life got his final comeuppance......watched it on a programme yesterday. Seems Spain is the favoured destination of UK criminals running from justice due to so many Brits being there.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/andrew-moran-armed-robber-jailed-11121170

Guest pelmetman

Errrr. ours. We love rules and regulations here. Government likes to keep us all in check as well. Just wait until they have a totally free reign on us. Dont forget they are about to import all EU law into ours anyway, then they will start adding a few new ones just to justify all their jobs and and a bit more "Control". We should have just adopted the French method. Look at an EU law, if it looks like a good un then use it, if we dont like it put it in the bin. We are our own worst enemy when it comes to following rules.

BENDY BANANAS >:-) ........

You better be quick though Barry as I'll be dismantling UKIP's Brexit on sea headquarters site this week, along with our lawn and summer house ;-) ........

As its time for me to abuse the NHS according to BG *-) .......have to say I feel no immediate need to abuse the NHS......but if it'll keep BG quiet perhaps I should, as it maybe save some NHS oike the pleasure of a bullet visit :D ......

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2017-03-23 5:44 PM

Calpe??? 8-)

That's where this low life got his final comeuppance......watched it on a programme yesterday. Seems Spain is the favoured destination of UK criminals running from justice due to so many Brits being there.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/andrew-moran-armed-robber-jailed-11121170

Alicante is half an hour plus South of Calpe BG ;-) .......but hey at least he was just a thief driven by money :-| ......unlike those Muslim nutters you keep trying to stick up for *-) ......

pelmetman - 2017-03-23 5:55 PM

BENDY BANANAS >:-) ........

You better be quick though Barry as I'll be dismantling UKIP's Brexit on sea headquarters site this week, along with our lawn and summer house ;-) ........

As its time for me to abuse the NHS according to BG *-) .......have to say I feel no immediate need to abuse the NHS......but if it'll keep BG quiet perhaps I should, as it maybe save some NHS oike the pleasure of a bullet visit :D ......

Use it quick Dave , the NHS according to Barry because all of those Polish doctors and nurses that single handedly are keeping the NHS afloat are about to leave , probably next Wednesday mainly because of the threats of violence and stuff since Brexit according to Barry ... Threats of violence , I wonder if thats why all the white non-Islamic believing folk have left or are leaving London ... Could be

pelmetman - 2017-03-23 6:05 PM

Calpe??? 8-)

Alicante is half an hour plus South of Calpe BG ;-) .......but hey at least he was just a thief driven by money :-|

"He was then caught following a raid in May 2013 at a luxury villa in the Calpe area of Alicante. Two handguns, 60 rounds of ammunition and a machete were recovered."

http://www.cumbriacrack.com/2016/03/31/fugitive-finally-jailed-court-escape/

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2017-03-23 6:10 PM

Calpe??? 8-)

Alicante is half an hour plus South of Calpe BG ;-) .......but hey at least he was just a thief driven by money :-|

"He was then caught following a raid in May 2013 at a luxury villa in the Calpe area of Alicante. Two handguns, 60 rounds of ammunition and a machete were recovered."

Calpe area of Alicante?........can't find that in your link?? :-S .........I dunno if your aware BG......but between Calpe and Alicante there's this place called Benidorm :D ......

Maybe your mental sat nav has gone walk about :D ......

Your reasoning capabilities clearly have *-) .......

pelmetman - 2017-03-23 8:02 PM

Calpe??? 8-)

Calpe area of Alicante?........can't find that in your link?? :-S .........

Shows you haven't read it then.......do i have to babysit you through everything? *-)

Read the second link.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2017-03-23 8:50 PM

pelmetman - 2017-03-23 8:02 PM

Calpe??? 8-)

Calpe area of Alicante?........can't find that in your link?? :-S .........

Shows you haven't read it then.......do i have to babysit you through everything? *-)

Read the second link.

Well I'm looking out of his window and I cant say I'm familiar with that view from any of the place's I've been in Calpe ;-) .......apart from the Med of course B-) .....

......and looking on the bright side he didn't run down 40 people and stab a policeman to death *-) ......So compared to your average Muslim fundamentalist he's Mr Nice Guy >:-) ........

To get back on thread;

When we moved here, we thought we'd made a dreadful mistake. The move was forced on us by my work, and it was from a rural location north of Inverness with fantastic views, to the edge of a town and no views. Our choice was time limited due to my work move being virtually "next day" and wife not wanting to be left on her own with a toddler and selling a house.

But that was 23 years ago now, and still here. Both retired, daughter works in China, 3 parents dead and 1 in care, nothing to keep us here. Every time we discuss moving, downsizing, we always end up deciding to stay. So I guess we must be happy where we live. :-D

candapack - 2017-03-23 9:12 PM

To get back on thread;

When we moved here, we thought we'd made a dreadful mistake. The move was forced on us by my work, and it was from a rural location north of Inverness with fantastic views, to the edge of a town and no views. Our choice was time limited due to my work move being virtually "next day" and wife not wanting to be left on her own with a toddler and selling a house.

But that was 23 years ago now, and still here. Both retired, daughter works in China, 3 parents dead and 1 in care, nothing to keep us here. Every time we discuss moving, downsizing, we always end up deciding to stay. So I guess we must be happy where we live. :-D

I toured up the east coast a couple of years ago and really struggled to understand their accent! It's so different to the n/west side where i've been many times. Anyway, parked up at Cruden Bay, a guy came down to do a spot of fishing and i got chatting with him.....and understood everything he said! When i told him he replied (insert strong Scot accent here!) "och that's because they're all a bit weird up here on this side mate.....i'm from Glasgow, the real Scotland!" (lol)

You are not that far from where some friends of mine live.......Alva. Cracking chip shop there if you're ever passing through....."Bollini's" on the main street. Well worth a visit !!

Archived