Replacement Wheel Bearings on a Ducato

StuartO

I had the front wheel bearings replaced on my 2006 Ducato-based recently, for the second time in the case of the near side hub.  This had become noisy again and when the hub was removed the bearing was in a terrible state - worn, rough taper rollers which were also corroded because the bearing seals had gone.  The off side was still OK but I asked the garage to replace both with the best quality bearings they could get.

These bearings are really quite substantial ones, I was told, and the cost nearly £200 for both sides.  It was quite a job for my local garage to fit them, partly because the hub unit has to be dismantled and removed and all the bolts had been undisturbed for some years and were hard work to remove.

The new bearings made a big difference and the MH once more rolled along silently and smoothly.  I might even save some diesel!

The last time my near-side bearing failed it was a few months after the near side hellical road spring had broken, which had caused a big jolt and I therefore concluded there had been some damage to the wheel bearing, which later became manifest.  No recollection of any huge jolts since then except that I have run over a few potholes in recent years.

Has anyone else suffered wheel bearing failure?

StuartO - 2017-03-29 5:25 PM............................Has anyone else suffered wheel bearing failure?

Stuart, there was/is a known issue regarding front wheel bearings on certain Ducatos, and I believe your 2006 is probably within the group affected. I thought I had heard that the bearing had subsequently been modified, and that the replacements eliminated the problem. Doubtless Nick will be able to advise chapter and verse if he spots your post.

Stuart O asked "Has anyone else suffered wheel bearing failure?"

The answer is yes. My 2006, X244, 2.8 JTD Ducato developed a rumble when it was just over 3 years old.

I suspected a wheel bearing and it was eventually traced to the LHS front wheel. The bearing was replaced by our local garage, at only 10,540 miles when the vehicle was about 4 years old. The cost in September 2010 was £180 for one bearing at a local garage. On that basis either I was charged rather highly, or Stuart came off well. However, in my case the problem has not reappeared.

There was some dicussion in MMM about failed Ducato wheel bearings, at that time. One theory for failure proposed in MMM was that motorhomes have long periods of inactivity, giving any trace of moisture in the bearing time to accumulate at the bottom, and cause slight corrosion, which can only get worse.

More recently, I have speculated that defective engine earthing could contribute to bearing failure. However a recent check of the earth connections on my vehicle revealed nothing untoward except perhaps that the chassis could have had better masking from paint, at the main earth point under the battery,

Alan

Mine went on a 2002 Ducato, a common problem for the up to 2006 models.

One of my front ones started whining just north of Bordeaux. By the time I reached Zaragoza it was completely knackered. Got both front ones replaced.

A few years later in France the rear nearside went. The rear bearings are easier to replace, apparently.

£200 just paid for my new bearings not the labour to fit them.  Including a brake service and new pads, the total bill was £763!

Interestngly I'm still on the original clutch, after eleven years and about 50,000 miles, quite a lot of it towing a car on a trailer.  I thought I felt a hint of a slip the other day but a robust test drive yesterday, using the nearest thing we've got here in Suffolk to a hill, gave no hint of slippage.  I think I'm good to go for France next month.

Archived