Pay to join, pay to leave?

StuartO

President Hollande, who will not survive in office long because of the French Presidential Elections, has joined Mrs Merkel, who also faces a re-election challenge ina  few months, in wanting, perhaps insisting, that UK must agree the divorce side of things (i.e. what we will pay) before discussion of the future trading arrangements can start.  Article 50 does not provide for this, so that's just their way of saying until we've got you to agree to pay what we will accept, we will stall everything else.  And they are outraged that Theresa May has suggested that a poor future relationship will weaken the UK's contribution to security of Europe.

These are merely positioning statements and part of what will be negotiated, so I don't think we need to worry too much.  It was useful that our Government have shown a bit of resolve and toughness about security (and then made reassuring follow up comments)as part of this process, lest the EU side think they can call all the shots.  We have only got a limited amount of leverage, so just as well to show that it's there.  No point in kidding ourselves that these aren't going to be hard nosed negotiations.

The insistence of the EU side that an Article 50 notifcation can be withdrawn is interesting (and our Government's insistence that this isn't going to happen) are interesting.  OK for us to take note of that option as long as we don't acknowledge that we're interested.

So far so good, it seems to me; our Government are playing this well.

Guest pelmetman
StuartO - 2017-03-30 12:59 PMPresident Hollande, who will not survive in office long because of the French Presidential Elections, has joined Mrs Merkel, who also faces a re-election challenge ina  few months, in wanting, perhaps insisting, that UK must agree the divorce side of things (i.e. what we will pay) before discussion of the future trading arrangements can start.  Article 50 does not provide for this, so that's just their way of saying until we've got you to agree to pay what we will accept, we will stall everything else.  And they are outraged that Theresa May has suggested that a poor future relationship will weaken the UK's contribution to security of Europe.

These are merely positioning statements and part of what will be negotiated, so I don't think we need to worry too much.  It was useful that our Government have shown a bit of resolve and toughness about security (and then made reassuring follow up comments)as part of this process, lest the EU side think they can call all the shots.  We have only got a limited amount of leverage, so just as well to show that it's there.  No point in kidding ourselves that these aren't going to be hard nosed negotiations.

The insistence of the EU side that an Article 50 notifcation can be withdrawn is interesting (and our Government's insistence that this isn't going to happen) are interesting.  OK for us to take note of that option as long as we don't acknowledge that we're interested.

So far so good, it seems to me; our Government are playing this well.

The most interesting bit to me is how much Europe relies on GCHQ 8-) .......Its no wonder Germany has done so well considering they've had to pay bog all for their defence for decades *-) .......Maybe we should send them a bill........Does 50 billion sound about right? >:-) ..........

Guest pelmetman

Pound to euro hit 1.17 again today......its been bumping along the bottom for ages waiting for someone to make a decision *-) .......

But hey even if it reached parity....... here in Brexit On Sea I'd be paying £1.50 for a bottle of wine......and 15 quid for a 3 course meal including the wine, it has gone up as the season progresses, but still dirt cheap when compared to UKPLC :D .......

Although I expect a reality check when I get back to Blighty 8-).........

Archived