Ducato X250 headlight control

Sparks1061

Hi.

Being in Finland all vehicles are required to use headlights (Or DRL´s) when driving, even during the summer when we get 20 hrs of daylight :)

For this reason, vehicles not fitted with DRL´s such as my Ducato based MH are set up so that the lights (Front and Rear) come on with the ignition and go off with ignition.

Does anyone know how this is achieved? Is it a setting or jumper somewhere?

The reason I am asking is I would like to fit aftermarket DRL´s and am trying to work out how I get them working as they should, i.e the DRL´s come on with the ignition and go off when the headlights are turned on.

Thanks for any help.

On my van (Fiat based), I have a Schaudt AD01 adapter unit that has been wired to switch in the extra daylight running lights when the engine is running. These are powered from the starter battery. The AD01 unit is just basically a box with some relays and fuses (almost a cut down version of the EBL but for the starter battery supply).

There is a different version (AD02) for the merc. chassis apparently.

I've just realised that you are planning to fit to a "Finnish Spec" vehicle, and the info may not be relevant (given that your lights will effectively be on all the time).

I suspect the setting is programmed into the Canbus, and thus cannot be easily changed (unless it is in the "settings" menu).

It might well be that a Fiat dealer could reset this, if you could find one willing to do it (in the understanding that you were fitting the aftermarket DRLs to remain legal)

Other than reducing the load on your motorhome’s alternator (I assume the DRLs you are proposing to fit would be LED type) I can’t see what real benefit doing this will have.

As things stand your motorhomes meets Finnish motoring regulations and having its headlamps on at all times will make the vehicle much more visible from the front than just having (usually fitted in the bumper area) DRLs illumininated. And, if you opt for DRLs, presumably none of the other lights (tail, side and high-level marker lights) that I assume now come on with the ignition will also no longer be illuminated.

It seems to me that you will be introducing complexity (and paying for the privilege) when it’s not essential and there’s no definite advantage.

Derek Uzzell - 2017-03-31 10:25 AM

Other than reducing the load on your motorhome’s alternator (I assume the DRLs you are proposing to fit would be LED type) I can’t see what real benefit doing this will have.

As things stand your motorhomes meets Finnish motoring regulations and having its headlamps on at all times will make the vehicle much more visible from the front than just having (usually fitted in the bumper area) DRLs illumininated. And, if you opt for DRLs, presumably none of the other lights (tail, side and high-level marker lights) that I assume now come on with the ignition will also no longer be illuminated.

It seems to me that you will be introducing complexity (and paying for the privilege) when it’s not essential and there’s no definite advantage.

Well when I switch my headlights on at night (So that full beam work and the dashboard ligths come on) I would need the DRL=s to go off. Not allowed them in the dark.

I am aware of that.

As your motorhome’s ‘main’ lights are currently illuminated whenever the vehicle is driven (thus complying with Finland’s motoring regulations) what I understand you want to do is a) stop those lights illuminating automatically when the motorhome’s ignition is switched on and b) fit DRLs that will come on instead. And, if you do retro-fit DRLs, those lights will plainly need to conform to DRL-related regulations.

I don’t know what Finland’s DRL regulations are, but this UK 2010 Information Sheet

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/408964/daytime-running-lights.pdf

suggests that RETRO-FITTED DRLs do not have to be turned off AUTOMATICALLY when headlamps are switched on.

If Finland’s motoring regulations are the same as the UK’s, as long as you could disable whatever causes your motorhome's ‘main’ lights from automatically illuminating when the ignition is turned on (which modification a Fiat Professional agent might be prepared to advise on or be persuaded to do) you should be legally allowed to switch retro-fitted DRLs on and off manually.

Presumably there must be some very good reason for you wanting to fit DRLs to your motorhome but, given that it will involve modifying the vehicle’s electrical system (plus the cost of a DRL kit), I have difficulty imagining your motivation.

When in countries that require headlights to be all the time I simply leave the headlights switched on at all times.

They then go on and off with the ignition switch so I never forget to turn them on!

Standard on a 2002 Ducato, and later models...but don't know if it changed later!?

Derek Uzzell - 2017-04-01 3:59 PM

I am aware of that.

As your motorhome’s ‘main’ lights are currently illuminated whenever the vehicle is driven (thus complying with Finland’s motoring regulations) what I understand you want to do is a) stop those lights illuminating automatically when the motorhome’s ignition is switched on and b) fit DRLs that will come on instead. And, if you do retro-fit DRLs, those lights will plainly need to conform to DRL-related regulations.

I don’t know what Finland’s DRL regulations are, but this UK 2010 Information Sheet

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/408964/daytime-running-lights.pdf

suggests that RETRO-FITTED DRLs do not have to be turned off AUTOMATICALLY when headlamps are switched on.

If Finland’s motoring regulations are the same as the UK’s, as long as you could disable whatever causes your motorhome's ‘main’ lights from automatically illuminating when the ignition is turned on (which modification a Fiat Professional agent might be prepared to advise on or be persuaded to do) you should be legally allowed to switch retro-fitted DRLs on and off manually.

Presumably there must be some very good reason for you wanting to fit DRLs to your motorhome but, given that it will involve modifying the vehicle’s electrical system (plus the cost of a DRL kit), I have difficulty imagining your motivation.

Actually reading what you linked too:

. They do not need to be operated manually as they automatically

activate when the engine is started and turn off when the engine stops or when headlights are

switched on at night.

And certainly in Finland it is a requirement that they turn off when you turn your headlights on.

Why do I want them? Because LED DRL´s are much more visible than normal headlight.

So all I reaaly need to do is work out how to stop the headlights turning on with the ignition, after that fitting the DSL´s is fairly simple.

Archived