3 up front - mounting holes and where to get a seat?

westfielder

Hi,

we have a 1999 Lunar 570SEL Ducato 230 based MH.

The driver (me) gets lonely as our 8 year old autistic spectrum son needs company in the back so we would really love three seats up front. It will outweigh all the negatives of living space reduced access.

We are struggling to find a double passenger seat.

I see lots of seats on ebay for the 2002 onwards but nothing for our model - I suppose it's too old.

I am trying to find out the mounting holes spacing on a 2002-2006 double seat to see if it would still fit if anyone would mind having a quick measure up - to the nearest cm would do as I suspect if they're within 1cm then probably compatible.

Any other advice gratefully received on a solution!!

I have looked into the VOSA/MOT/insurance issues so comment not needed on those thanks.

Many thanks

Nick & Claire (and Joshua!)

Hi Nick & welcome to the forum.

I suggest ringing around scrap vehicle dealers in your area to see if they have ANY Fiat vans in so you can check dimensions. Don't forget to include the Peugeot & Citroen derivatives & also check all the later year models, as they will be more available & likely to have much less wear.

Don't forget you will have to fit a seat belt, and would not be able to "walk through" to the habitation part of van!

You could always have" walkie talkies " What do you do in a car ? I guess you son sits in the back there

PJay

PS don't forget you will have to inform DVLA of any changes to v an

A bit difficult without a sketch indicating exactly which holes to measure between.

The cab area of my PVC (2006 Ducato X244) has the original rubberised flooring beneath the carpet, and the rear fixing holes are covered by fixed flooring. That is to say that there is no access to the rear mounting bolts for the front seats. Not a good feature, in my opinion.

However there are various knockout sections in depressed areas of the floor covering, and crawling on the floor and removing some plastic seat frame covers I can offer the following measurents.

Front row of holes, LHS seat bolt centres 330mm, then from RHS bolt of this pair to knockout in flooring 80mm, again working to the right another 430mm to the knockout close to the RHS seat..

About 235mm further back, but in front of the rear mounting bolts, there are four further knockouts in the flooring. These appear to be symetrical about the same centre lines as the 330 & 430 measurewments given above. These knockouts are at 200 and 300mm centres respectively.

Does this help, or do you require further clarification/explanation?

Alan

Hi Alan,

Thanks so much for taking the time to measure all this - really kind of you

Alanb - 2017-04-01 11:23 AM

Front row of holes, LHS seat bolt centres 330mm, then from RHS bolt of this pair to knockout in flooring 80mm, again working to the right another 430mm to the knockout close to the RHS seat..

About 235mm further back, but in front of the rear mounting bolts, there are four further knockouts in the flooring. These appear to be symetrical about the same centre lines as the 330 & 430 measurewments given above. These knockouts are at 200 and 300mm centres respectively.

This is encouraging because if I read it right... there's a right to left gap of 350mm between two sets of holes. So looking at a double seat to measure holes will possibly yield results - what I can't get from your post (I may be reading it wrongly is the measurement from front holes to rear holes.

Kind Regards

Nick

Nick

Although there was a ‘face-lift’ in (I think) 2002 that affected the Ducato’s motors, transmission and frontal appearance, I believe this will not have altered the cab floor. So Ducato double-passenger seats suitable for X244 vehicles SHOULD fit earlier X230 vehicles and vice versa. The X250 Ducato introduced in mid-2006 was a very different design and passenger seats (probably) will not be interchangeable with those of previous X230/X244 models.

As Alanb has mentioned, you’ll need to check whether Lunar has done anything that might complicate fitting the double-seat - like flooring over the mounting points. As motorhomes are never (hardly ever?) fitted with double-passenger cab seats, as this would interfere with moving from the cab to the rear living-area, a motorhome converter will not have considered the possibility of such a seat being retro-fitted and will have made no allowances for this being done.

Thanks Derek and Mike -

Yes I had seen that post but the chap didn't say that he got a newer seat.

This is very encouraging now - I am waiting for an ebayer to come back to me who's selling a 2002-2006 seat. He's kindly going to measure the holes for me - then it's up with my carpet!

Thanks again,

I will post my findings!

Nick

Just a thought. If you end up searching on ebay don't forget to also enter "Ducato/Boxer/Relay spares or repair" in the search box in addition to any search you may try for just a seat . Breakers advertise whole vans that they are breaking and invite you to get in touch to see what parts are available. It's also possible of course to put in your postcode and max distance you are willing to travel as a filter which is handy.

Apols if I am teaching "granny to suck eggs"

Good luck.

Veronica

Archived