draughty cab

harycadbtopenworld.

we have just returned from the Christmas break spending four nights away, we own an Autosleeper clubman, just bought, W reg. and even though the heater is superb, we were still troubled with cold air entering from the cab area. we use external silver screens and close all the cab vents. Has anyone got any tips or ideas how to cure this problem?

Harry

There is one further thing,that costs nothing, I would suggest and that is to change the cab heater controls to the recirculating air position. I found this a great help in my Hymer. Beyond that it is further insulation between the body of the cab including the floor.

Good luck

Docted

I dont think it is a good idea to tape up outlet vents they are there for a purpose especially if you are using gas . If you are plugged into electrics why dont you buy a small electric heater and stand it in the cab area, otherwise put on more jumpers and woolley socks . :-D

Not sure what the base vehicle is, but all our to date have been Fiat/Peugeot, with the notably very drafty cab.......not least due to the amount of exposed metal and poor door seal, I guess. Two suggestions, one as mentioned above, have a small thermostatically controlled fan heater, and place it as far as you can towards the dash board, or depening on van layour a long curtain from cab roof to floor does help. We've tried it all, depending on which 'van we had at the time, and there's no easy answer, especially given the need for ventialtion for safety of gas.

Hi maggyd,

The poster was talking about the cab not the habitation area. I too would not advocate taping up the gas vents that the manufactures put in at stategic points.

The cab is a different matter. The vents were put in the doors to extract air from the cab ( especialy truck cabs )when the vehicle is in motion, but were not designed for vans that you live in. This is a magor area where cold air gets into the van. Many people put curtains between the cab and habitation area to get the same effect, but that still leaves the cab very cold and if you swivel the front seats thats of no use.

Richard

An old mate of mine had an AS Clubman on a VW. 2.4. He did what Docted sez and also hung some nice heavy lined valvet curtains across between cab and living area. The curtains came second hand from an Autotrail, they were a bit on the over generous side but worked very well. Might pick up some good similar curtains at a boot sale. Wishing you a warmer winter!!!

Hi, when using our clubman in the colder months, we used to hang a sheet of material just at the back of the front seats, this was hung using velcro,sewn onto the material, and attatched to the roof lining.

this was a large sheet in one peice and stretched from wall to wall and ceiling to floor, and easily folded when not needed, after ten years of use, there were no signs of it being used.

we found that by far the worst draughts came from around the fridge

p.s we have just sold it and bought a new van, if anyone on the list has bought it; reg n. n406 cog, let me know, and i will tell its history.

pete

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your advice on the draughty cab problem, the base vehicle is a VW T4. We were away again last weekend and apart from closing the cab air ventilator's I taped up the outside grill on the bonnet using gaffer tape, this seems to have cured the problem, but we also took a small heater just in case. PS don't forget to remove the tape before setting of for home.

regards Harry

Archived