clean air stickers etc

tonyg3nwl

whilst I can recognise the need to reduce pollution in the atmosphere, by among other thing minimise diesel engine outputs, it puzzles me that no one in power seems to remember the basic laws of physics.

ie, it takes energy to move objects from one place or another, and that energy cant be destroyed, simply converted from one type to another, ie from potential energy in form of petrol to kinetic energy in form of moving vehicle.

moving a 40 ton load matters notwhether the energy is from diesel, or from a new fangled super duper electric powered method, takes the same amount of energy and that has to be generated somehow.

since a large proportion of electric energy come from dirty coal to generate electricity, what is the difference between that and a tank of diesel doing the same job

each is inefficient as energy is converted to waste heat, cooling towers at power stations, brakes and transmission losses at the moving objects.

how much energy is collected from wind generators, in relation to how much it took overall to make the generator, including building material processing and transporting to site, and transmission losses to recharge the electric vehicles.. How much pollution is created?

how much energy is used to produce and distribute the stickers, and how much greener will the world be as a result..

any thoughts, provocative or otherwise

tonyg3nwl

tonyg3nwl - 2017-04-03 3:43 PM

whilst I can recognise the need to reduce pollution in the atmosphere, by among other thing minimise diesel engine outputs, it puzzles me that no one in power seems to remember the basic laws of physics.

ie, it takes energy to move objects from one place or another, and that energy cant be destroyed, simply converted from one type to another, ie from potential energy in form of petrol to kinetic energy in form of moving vehicle.

moving a 40 ton load matters notwhether the energy is from diesel, or from a new fangled super duper electric powered method, takes the same amount of energy and that has to be generated somehow.

since a large proportion of electric energy come from dirty coal to generate electricity, what is the difference between that and a tank of diesel doing the same job

each is inefficient as energy is converted to waste heat, cooling towers at power stations, brakes and transmission losses at the moving objects.

how much energy is collected from wind generators, in relation to how much it took overall to make the generator, including building material processing and transporting to site, and transmission losses to recharge the electric vehicles.. How much pollution is created?

how much energy is used to produce and distribute the stickers, and how much greener will the world be as a result..

any thoughts, provocative or otherwise

tonyg3nwl

I think you have hit on something here.

My particular beef when it comes to saving the planet concerns recycling and how much water I waste rinsing out plastics and cans etc. That precious water going down the drain which has taken many £s to clean and the fuels needed by the vans that collect the stuff then the energy needed by the plants that process supposed recyclable waste. Are we all being hoodwinked by people making their fortunes out of the "green" business"?

My understanding of physics ended at GCE level so I don't pretend to have any answers. However, I would start with imposing restrictions on plastics and other packaging that are part of the daily shop. When I was a kid we had one full rubbish bin a week for a family of eight. I estimate that this volume is what we would need now for my family of three over the same period.

I'm all for saving the planet but I question the efforts that have been made so far because I am not persuaded that they are anything more than a kind of lip service being spouted by vested interests. Those that want to make the most money will latch on to the latest "green" concern and then run with it.

Veronica

To coin the phrase of a curtain DJ " Wise words there mate" energy pollutes and perceived "clean" energy pollutes more than most. The U.S, Russia and more recently Japan have wiped out whole Cities with their "clean" energy. The latest tax collecting scheme or should that be scam can just be added to those that have gone before. bureaucracy is churned out by bureaucrats to keep the masses busy and in line, and of course pay their enormous income, expenses etc. The average Joe doesn't notice what is really going on because he's to busy filling out these bloody forms because of the fear of doing something wrong and wants to stay on the right side of the law like most of us. So it's the rule of fear that makes bow to their command. That's how a dictator..... Sorry democracy works

The world is run by, and for, vested interests. They take priority.

1) The new runway at Heathrow with all it's extra traffic / congestion / pollution is a good example.

2) There are plans for a new cruise liner terminal at Greenwich, where cruise liners will park for a couple of days with their engines running - to keep all their systems working.

It is said that this will be the equivalant of over 600 diesel lorries parked with their engines running continuously.

3) We are told that the Amazon rain forest plays an essential part in climate control - but it's being cleared at an alarming rate.

'Politicians' like to be seen to be doing something about pollution and climate change - so today the Mayor of London is increasing charges for diesel cars entering London - in spite of the fact that a few years ago people were encouraged to buy diesels.

It's gesture politics - (but could be seen as picking on soft targets ).

:-|

hi i dont understand how charging diesel car owners is going to help.. re what will he spend the money collected on free masks or oxygen cylinders. The only way to stop pollution in london is to ban vehicles and make deliveries at night

Just had this from France re my application. Only taken 3 months.

Hello,

Our number is not available from abroad please communicate by mail.

Regards,

Air Quality Certificate Service

Contact us

Contact@certificat-air.gouv.fr

pagey - 2017-04-04 11:16 AM

hi i dont understand how charging diesel car owners is going to help.. re what will he spend the money collected on free masks or oxygen cylinders. The only way to stop pollution in london is to ban vehicles and make deliveries at night

by Donkey?

Archived