12 volt sky box

cruiser

I know this question has probably been asked before, but........

I'm finding that my inverter is the biggest power drain when off-site, and I only need it for raising the sat. dish and running the Sky box. Is there such a thing as a 12v Freesat box or similar? If so, who sells them?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Randonneur - 2017-04-03 7:08 PM

We have been using a 12v Sky Mini Box until we sacked Sky recently.

These 12v Sky boxes have not been available for many years. They can still be used for anything free to air. You do not need a Sky account for this so the box will still be usable for all non subscription channels.

cruiser - 2017-04-03 5:58 PM

Is there such a thing as a 12v Freesat box or similar?

Yes, no, maybe.

AFAIK there are no out of the box 12v Freesat STB's, there are some FTA 12v boxes, and some 12v TV's have FTA built in, there is a Humax Freesat box which has an external 12v power supply so this could be used with a stabilised 12v supply and lead.

Mike88 - 2017-04-03 7:31 PM

Randonneur - 2017-04-03 7:08 PM

We have been using a 12v Sky Mini Box until we sacked Sky recently.

These 12v Sky boxes have not been available for many years. They can still be used for anything free to air. You do not need a Sky account for this so the box will still be usable for all non subscription channels.

Yes, we understand that but have bought a "Freesat receiver" and therefore get more channels than just using a Sky Box without a card.

I assume the OP's dish raises/lowers using 12v anyway.

My 12v TV with inbuilt satellite decoder draws 2amps. Sometimes, I use the TV with a 12v mini Pace Sky box and the combined draw is about 4amps.

Only trouble with the inbuilt satellite decoder (basically free to air) is that it doesn't have an electronic programme guide EPG, only what's on next. Whereas the sky box does have an EPG.

The free to air does have benefits, in so much as you can easily pick up other satellites, if you so wish.

If the OP wishes to reduce his 12v power draw, a modern power efficient TV with decoder is probably the way forward.

Archived