David Moyes sexist?

Violet1956

I've been following the fuss that is being made about David Moyes and his threat to the female reporter. Having watched the video with the OH I am not persuaded he was issuing a genuine threat to slap her. I wonder if “gi ye a slap” is a phrase often used by people to respond to someone they think is being cheeky over the border? His remark had unfortunate shades of domestic violence if taken out of context and I guess that is why he issued an abject apology rather than having sought to defend it.

It is not a resigning issue nor was it a sexist remark in my book. He didn’t display any discrimination or prejudice against her because she was female, who could say he wouldn’t have said the same to a male reporter? He just added the caveat that he would do so even though she was a woman. Sounds like equal treatment to me. I don't see anything in the words he used that demeaned women in general or the reporter in particular.

Perhaps Gary Lineker has a point in saying that it is symptomatic of the attitudes of some managers who treat reporters with disdain. Mr Moyes may need to take that on board if he has such an attitude. Turning this into a feminist issue detracts from that message and reflects poorly upon women who are in danger of being misrepresented as oversensitive wusses.

Veronica

Randonneur - 2017-04-04 11:59 AMI don't think it was made with malice but would he have said that to a male reporter, I don't think so.

Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't, but there is nothing inherently sexist in threatening someone in that way, is there?  At worst it was a threat or an implied threat and it takes a further leap of association to make it a sexist thing, forn example because "slap" is someone different from "puch".  I think we're dealing with the expectations of BBC feminism rather than anything much worse here; would it be horrendously sexist for a woman to threaten to punch a bloke?

Randonneur - 2017-04-04 11:59 AM

I don't think it was made with malice but would he have said that to a male reporter, I don't think so.

Of course he wouldn't..... it was a put down along the silly little girl line. I remember a Texan architect who had that something like that said to her and she made the speaker look very silly. On another occasion in a meeting with a lot of important people her boss, who came from Louisiana, said "Jane, go and make coffee". With a slow drawl she replied..." Charles, you don't need tits to make coffee" to the great amusement of all in the room.

It's utter garbage ... Listening to a female leader of the full time offended on radio this morning she wants Moyes to undergo therapy !! ... Had a woman told a male reporter to "grow some balls" or something similar it would have been funny I presume ... As for Lineker he's not bothered about one of his mates Gazza being a wife beater is he ... The Screaming Pussy Brigade can add a new name to the Trump banners now on the next feminists march , that nasty man Moyes

I think it was purely harmless banter, I've said the same to my wife and can't see anything to get upset about.

Hopefully the swelling on my eye will subside in a couple of days so then I may be able to.??

These days it seems like anyone in the public eye who upsets anyone among the Great Offended has to do some conspicuous grovelling or suffer disproportionate consequences.

The private landlord in Kent who (rather naively if not stupidly) admitted to, in effect, discriminating against "coloured people" because they often left the property stinking of curry/spices when they moved out is getting soem stick.  Even if he'd said "I don't rent to people who eat a lot of spicy food" someone would have regarded that as racially discriminatory because of an implication of racial bias.  You got to be so careful these days.

Muswell - 2017-04-04 12:26 PM

Randonneur - 2017-04-04 11:59 AM

I don't think it was made with malice but would he have said that to a male reporter, I don't think so.

Of course he wouldn't..... it was a put down along the silly little girl line. I remember a Texan architect who had that something like that said to her and she made the speaker look very silly. On another occasion in a meeting with a lot of important people her boss, who came from Louisiana, said "Jane, go and make coffee". With a slow drawl she replied..." Charles, you don't need tits to make coffee" to the great amusement of all in the room.

Hadn't thought that it was something he wouldn't have said it to a man or the "silly girl" kind of put down. I don't speak for all women of course but my default position is that if I encounter it, which is rare these days, I tend to laugh it off and mutter expletives under my breath. That said you both have caused me to rethink my initial view. Context is everything I suppose. It will be interesting to see what the FA does about it.

Veronica

Veronica

Veronica

antony1969 - 2017-04-04 1:56 PM

Talking of the offended ... Cadburys and the National Trust deserve a slap for erasing that shocking , vile word Easter form its eggs

I think you should read this Antony.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/cadbury-ignoring-part-of-bible-where-rabbit-gives-jesus-a-wispa-egg-20170404125383

You gotta larf sometimes.

Veronica

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2017-04-04 5:44 PM

Breaking news !

Football manager says something worth discussing !

Well - maybe not.

;-)

Breaking news............ feminist thinks she shouldn't be treated like a bloke (lol) .........

As usual with these trivial matters...........much ado about nothing.

The BBC confirmed that Moyes and Sparks had spoken about the exchange and the issue had been resolved. A spokesman said: "Mr Moyes has apologised to our reporter and she has accepted his apology."

Sparks herself can even be heard laughing at the comment on the clip.

Archived