Japanese motorhomes

Natali

Most of the Japanese (Toyota or similar) are small van conversions with elevating roofs.

Have a search for BONGO's. Unfortunatley many are 2nd hand "grey imports"

Most UK manufacturers use Fiat/Peugeot/Renault/Ford Transit base vehicles and some on Mercs.

Again the magazines at the top are your best initial route giving lots of info regarding the different makes/types available.

Trust this brief description helps.

Flicka

Thank you for the answer. But i am in Russia and can't buy this magazine. But I really want. If you have a link on the articles about japanese rv, give it to me please. I am writing the review about japanese rv. So the main question what the difference between euripean rv and japanese. and the main features of japan campers.

HI Natali

The big difference, to simplfify, is that 'Conversions' are usually 'Parcel vans' where the convertor has cut out spaces for windows, and often the roof, which can then either be made higher, or perhaps a 'rising roof' added.

'Coachbuilt' are those where the front cab and chassis is supplied by the original manufacturer, and the motorhome body is then added. This can be 'low profile' (ie streamlined low front above the cab) or 'over cab' (where there is usually space for a bed above the cab). Otherwise there is the 'A' class, which is a fully integral body built on the chassis supplied.

I'm not sure how relevant in general terms the base vehicle is to your research/ articles, but the main European or Janpanese ones have been mentioned, and many people do have a preference (or of course a dislike!) for a particular manufacturer.

Without knowing the RV scene in Russia (which I am sure would be very interesting) ir is difficult to give any further spefic info. There are plenty of websiters which I assume you could get access to on a Google or oterh search engine, and of course the MMM could be sent to you, I assume, by the publishers.

By all means e-mail me direct if you feel I can help rather than trying to get to detailed on this open forum.

Natali - 2006-12-28 9:21 AM Thank you for the answer. But i am in Russia and can't buy this magazine. But I really want. If you have a link on the articles about japanese rv, give it to me please. I am writing the review about japanese rv. So the main question what the difference between euripean rv and japanese. and the main features of japan campers.

Natali

Are you writing your review for a Russian publication?  If the review is about Japanese RV's, I don't think there are many such available in Europe, so we don't generally have much experience of them.  This is mainly because there are very few Japanese vans in Europe that are suitable to convert to RV use, and almost no completed RVs are actually imported into Europe from Japan.

Hi Natali

Have a look at this site as it gives various manufacturers with different types of Motorhomes with links to the manufactures websites.

http://www.motorhomeinfo.co.uk/buy/manufacturers.html

As far as I am aware there is only Volkswagen who have produced their "base" vehicle with their own conversion to a Motorcaravan.

As a general rule, Motorcaravan manufacturers do not produce the "base"vehicle.

When I say "chassis" , it can mean,

1 A van conversion which uses a commercial van body which is cut to fit windows and elevating roof of fixed high roof.

2 A cab and chassis only, where a coachbuilt body is fitted by the Motorcaravan manufacturer

3 The chassis only which an "A" Class body is fitted by the Motorcaravan manufacturer

Hope the above link will help and that I have not confused you too much

Flicka

Archived