Why doesn't my satnav say this?

henrypartridge

I have a Garmin 660 Camper satnav which I like very much. I'm puzzled by one strange thing it does. On some roads, seemingly at random, it displays a speed limit which is different from the posted limit. E.g. On a dual carriageway it may display 60, on a single lane road 50. Only sometimes, most of the time it will display 70 and 60 as you would expect. When it does this there is a little symbol on the speed limit that looks like a motorhome.

The satnav is set to Motorhome not caravan. It's almost as though the satnav thinks I'm over 3.05t unladen weight.

I asked Garmin but typically got a cut and paste from the manual which ignored the question.

It's giving you commercial vehicle limits and, unless you've entered some additional data to make it "think" you van is a commercial vehicle, or an HGV, it is wrong. I'd try another go at Garmin. It is quite possible they are working on the assumption that these limits apply once MAM exceeds 3,500kg, as is the case on the continent. As you say, they only apply in UK if the vehicle is over 3,050kg unladen. Garmin UK may not appreciate that.

What have you entered as vehicle dimensions and weight ?

I have set mine for the weight of our MH at a MAM of 4250kg and it works well. I must admit I haven't tried to see what happens if you set the MAM below 3050kg - I will have to look and see what it displays.

Alan

henrypartridge - 2017-04-07 7:03 PM

I have a Garmin 660 Camper satnav which I like very much. I'm puzzled by one strange thing it does. On some roads, seemingly at random, it displays a speed limit which is different from the posted limit. E.g. On a dual carriageway it may display 60, on a single lane road 50. Only sometimes, most of the time it will display 70 and 60 as you would expect. When it does this there is a little symbol on the speed limit that looks like a motorhome.

The satnav is set to Motorhome not caravan. It's almost as though the satnav thinks I'm over 3.05t unladen weight.

I asked Garmin but typically got a cut and paste from the manual which ignored the question.

Length 7m width 2m and GVW I left at 3500kg even though I've up plated it to 4250. I didn't change that as I thought it might fool it into the lower limits. The Garmin only has setting for GVW, not unladen, and it's unladen that defines the speed limits in UK roads. Does yours show lower limits? Mine only does it on certain roads, it's not consistent

I've emailed Garmin, I'll post answer if I get any sense out of them.

I am sure you are aware that above 3050kg unladen weight in the UK the speed limits for MH's are :-

30 MPH Built Up Areas

50 MPH Single Carriageway

60 MPH Dual Carriageway

70 MPH Motorway

Whereas under 3050Kg unladen they are:-

30 MPH Built Up Areas

60 MPH Single Carriageway

70 MPH Dual Carriageway

70 MPH Motorway

The symbol you see is a motorhome icon and comes up as you have set motorhome as the vehicle. As for the Garmin manual - it doesn't explain much, especially in vehicle settings.

Alan

I'll try that but it does say GVW, gross vehicle weight. I thought it was, as Alan suggests, assuming I was bound by the lower limits but the weird thing is it only does it on some roads. Others it shows the normal higher limits. It's no big deal, just puzzling. I await a reply from Garmin

Archived