Home Insurance for long term unoccupancy

Ginny1

Hi, For the first time in our motorhome we are going to Europe for 3 months. I am having difficulty finding an insurance company that is happy to cover that period for our house being unoccupied.

One company said they will cover for 2 months and then if someone stayed in the house for one night it will cover for another two months!

Does anyone know of a suitable insurance company please?

Guest pelmetman

Camping & Caravan club house insurance.......but you need to be a member to get the full 3 months ;-) ......

Try Saga for a quote. I'm with them for house insurance but the restrictions are tightly controlled and it's not cheap. I'm surprised about the one you found allowing an extension "if someone stayed in the house for one night" as usually they insist on daily occupancy......which one night wouldn't be.

I Cant remember how long ours is, could be two or three months but I checked the small print and whilst the general cover for everything lapses after that time I do believe some level of basic cover is still in place such as if the house falls or burns down but I dont think I am covered for burglary, accidental damage etc. It might be worth checking as you current policy may still offer a basic level of cover after the two months.

Im not bothered about burglary or accidental damage to be honest. The crime rate here is virtually zero and I fail to see how we could have accidental damage in an empty house. I just wing it.

Some insurers will do it for an extra premium, so ask the one you are with before necssarily changing. Many also ask for someone to check the place either weekly or at intervals. Of course do ensure everything is switched off, and if you have doubts have the central heating drained. Better safe than sorry.

Archived