Navman iCN 550 v Tom Tom 710

flicka

I'm looking at Sat Nav's and currently undecided between the Navman iCN 550 and the Tom Tom 710. Mainly because I don't have sufficient knowledge and sales people are too interested in selling what they have in stock, rather than subjective comparison.

Can anyone tell me (in plain English, please) which the consider is the most suitable.

I am looking for full European coverage, not just main roads.

The Navman appears to have the benefit of life long subcription to traffic management, where it is a annual payment with the Tom Tom.

Is it necessary to have mobile phone connected to receive the Traffic Management facility ?

Any help appreciated

Flicka

Hi John,

Whatever you buy, make sure you can input GPS coordinates as well as postcodes, streets with house numbers etc.., as most sites in europe often give long & Lats and are invaluable for finding your way.

I have the mio 269+ and find it works very well for me, the replacement is the Mio C710. Have a good look on the web at all Sat Nav's before you commit.

Seasons Greetings - Terry

Guest Frank Wilkinson

I've a Tom Tom 910 and it's superb. However it would be unfair of me to offer advice as I don't know the Navman. I would suggest that you simply do a full comparison using the web. The specs are all available as are the prices.

Whichever you buy I'm sure that you'll be happy. There's very little bad equipment out there at this sort of level and I'm sure that it'll be six of one and half a dozen of the other when you do your comparison.

Hi Flicka

I have the Tom Tom 710 and I find it very easy to use, it has full western european mapping and has not let me down yet. I cannot comment on the Navaman but as said earlier they are all comparible. I belive the 910 has America and canada on it as well as more memory.

hope this helps

Foxy

Hi Flicka,

I cannot comment on the Navman because I know nothing about it.  But I do know the TomTom GO.

As you may be aware the GO510 comes with a map of Great Britain (all roads) and the Major Roads of Europe (main roads only).  Whereas the GO710 comes with a seemless map of the whole of Western Europe (all roads) which obviously includes Great Britain.  The map on the SD card is the ONLY difference between these two models.

The GO910 has a hard drive and does indeed come with a map of the USA.  You can read all about them here  http://tinyurl.com/y9c5zn

The GO 710/510 is very easy to use and setup although I'm not sure whether the traffic facility is that good yet.

Whilst you're on the Tom Tom site, check out the mobile phone compatibility listing.  The GO series should allow a hands-free facility as well as listing your contacts telephone numbers.

Has anyon seen a site that has a comparative listof what each Sat Nav does ? and the Extras that can be used / added / and what exrtra must haves are availaible ?

It seems that most Nav Sats do most things but no one model does it all !

I rather fancied a Garmin with software that could be used with an Etrex handheld GPS unit. Cheaper to buy two TomToms !

Flicka ,

we have the Navman the Tom Tom 510 and the Avic in the m/h

Forget the Avic as it's the cost and its only used in the van fantastic .

The Tom Tom is the one Go for it and by the way we just paid £290 for the 510 but the 710 is now at Curry's on special for £289 really suprised at how good it was . Especially the bluetooth phone car kit intergrated .

Navman have definately fallen behind IMHO

Goodluck

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your comments, they have been most useful and helpful.

I realised I was only still considering the NavMan because of it's shape.(not so deep as the Tom Tom.)

Well, I have gone and bought the Tom Tom 710, with full European mapping. The Tom Tom gives alot more spec. £ for £ than the Navman.(

We can always buy the US & Canadian maps if/when we go back to the States and I guess they will be cheaper overthere)

We should now be able to find some of the hidden CC's & C/L's now, without arguments.

Thanks again and wishing you all a Very Happy & Prosperous New Year and many happy hours / miles in you M/H's.

Flicka

I think that was a good decision Flicka and I'm sure you'll have many hours of excitement with it.  We use ours all the time and it means we can BOTH look out the window and no town or city holds any fears for us as far as navigating through or around them.

With regards to CC and CC.CLs, I don't know whether you were aware but there are POI (Points Of Interest) available for a host of different subjects and you can download many for free (things like speed limit cameras are usually on a modest subscription).

This web site has lots of camping sites listed including Caravan Club, Certified Locations, Camping and Caravaning Club and Camping and Caravanning Club Certified Sites.

http://www.poihandler.com/default.aspx

They are free to download, but you have to register first (for free).

Once you have downloaded them, copy them into your map folder on your GO (Western Europe?) then when you want to navigate to your chosen camp site do the following:-

1. Turn on your GO.

2. Touch screen and select 'Navigate to...'

3. Select POI near you

4. Pick category (i.e. Certified Locations)

5. Use the /\ and \/ arrows to find the CL you wish to navigate to.

6. Select type of route (beware of the shortest!!) and select Done.

7. Map will calculate and show you the route.

8. Select Done again and off you go.

Obviously, your POI download will only be as accurate as when the last time you downloaded them so it will pay to download them on a regular basis.

Way2Go - 2007-01-01 4:25 PM

Once you have downloaded them, copy them into your map folder on your GO (Western Europe?) then when you want to navigate to your chosen camp site do the following:-

1. Turn on your GO.

2. Touch screen and select 'Navigate to...'

3. Select POI near you

4. Pick category (i.e. Certified Locations)

5. Use the /\ and \/ arrows to find the CL you wish to navigate to.

6. Select type of route (beware of the shortest!!) and select Done.

7. Map will calculate and show you the route.

8. Select Done again and off you go.

Obviously, your POI download will only be as accurate as when the last time you downloaded them so it will pay to download them on a regular basis.

Excellent information. Would you be kind enough to remind us how looad these downloads onto Tom Tom please. Many thanks,Roy

michele - 2007-01-01 8:35 PM Roy, Link the computor to the tom tom through USb then drag & drop on to your memory card ;-)

. . . . or if you have a card reader attached to your PC, remover the SD card from your TomTom and insert into card reader.  Then copy across as before.

Thanks for this. I have a problem now connecting Tom Tom to my computer. Everytime I try to do something I get a message "Please connect your TT device", although I have connected TT to USB on computer. I suppose there is a fault somwhere!

Roy.

Not sure I fully understand your question.

If your TT is attached to the docking cradle then you can access the SD card through windows explorer.  TomTom will show as an additional drive maybe F: or G: something like that.  Don't try and copy it via the TomTom HOME software.

If you have removed the SD card then you wouldn't have received this message so I'll guess you did it via the previous way.

It sounds as though TomTom HOME is still running and is trying to lock onto the device again.  Best bet and quickest way is to turn off TT and reboot PC.

When PC has restarted, start TT again and it should recognise it again.

W2G.

Hi Way2 Go

My TT is Go 700 - it has built in memory, not removable card. I have a lead which links TT to USB socket but nothing at all happens when I connect it, which leads me to think that there is a fault somewhere. The USB socket works OK when I use other devices such as photo card reader. I am afraid that I am not very computer literate.

Roy.

Ahh sorry about that Roy, I thought you were using the 710.

OK, I've never used the GO700 it it'll be a learning curve for both of us ;-)

Have you ever connected your GO to your PC before using the USB cable?

Assuming that you have, and it worked OK, then let's look at something else.

1. Assuming the PC is turned off, turn on PC.

2. Turn on GO700 and attach to PC via USB cable.

3. The GO710 would now show a screen saying "Would you like to attach to a PC - [Yes] or [No]" and I would select [Yes] on the screen.  What does the GO700 say?

4. With the GO700 working, when the USB is plugged in you 'should' be able to see the GO by double-clicking on My Computer on the PC desktop.  What does yours show?

Way2Go - 2007-01-02 5:46 PM

3. The GO710 would now show a screen saying "Would you like to attach to a PC - [Yes] or [No]" and I would select [Yes] on the screen.  What does the GO700 say?

4. With the GO700 working, when the USB is plugged in you 'should' be able to see the GO by double-clicking on My Computer on the PC desktop.  What does yours show?

Thanks for your help Way2Go.That is what I would have expected. When I attach my card reader/photo disc to USB on PC and go to 'My computer' there is an icon showing 'Removable disc', which opens up OK. This is not happening when I attach Tom Tom - nothing happens at all. My Go700 is 18 months old (bought at Halfords) and I did in fact download an update in August 2006 when the connection must have worked, which is why I reckon there must be a fault. I think I will have to consult Halfords and or my computer man.Roy.

Hi

Just a small point of interest with any Sat Nav system I have been advised not to record your home address into your system because if your sat nav is stolen especially if you are away from home or on holiday the thieff will automatically know that there may be an empty home to rob or even contact another person nearer to the adddress and let them pay the empty address a visit.

happy new year kelly ;-)

That's a good point and is very important.  Whenever you setup your default 'home' location make sure it is a street or two away.

Depending on your particular location you may want to select the local pub at the end of your road or the local supermarket car park around the corner.

Pat P. My Tom Tom 910 has a walking mode in the preferences when setting up. I have not tried it yet though. It is a heavy item to carry in your hand and I would not fancy doing it in a built up area as I would be afraid of being mugged. I'll try sticking it in my pocket next time I'm out walking or on my mountain bike in the countryside and give it a go. Would imagine I would get tired before the batteries give out.

Clive.

Pat P - 2007-01-03 8:46 PM OR what about the local police station???? serious question now - can the Tom Tom 910 be used hand held? By that I mean can we take it around towns and cities with us? Thanks Pat

I think all the TomTom GO range are designed to be hand held away from the vehicle.  The main difference between the 510/710 and the 910 is that the later has a hard drive in it which may effect the weight and could be more prone to shocks.

Archived