Take that goods train to China

Bulletguy

Much fuss made on this mornings BBC Breakfast news about the first train to leave Thurrock, Essex, on a 7000+ mile 8-) trip to China carting containers of British goods (yep we still make errm....a few things). Apparently we export an amazing £16bn worth of goods to China........but they export £38.4bn back to us so we've got a heck of a lot of catching up to do.

We are sending the stuff by train because we are on a budget now......it's cheaper than going by cargo plane so Southern Rail obviously aren't running it. I don't think the Chinese know we have problems with leaves on railway lines either.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08lm638/breakfast-10042017

I can't see how this can last. Some container ship's can now carrying over 20,000 containers. At 30 containers a trip it would mean over 650 rail journey's on this line (one way). What about the other countries that would want to use the system. If it works, fine but I wonder what the environmental crowd will have to say about it.

Dave

I just caught a bit on the news...

They banged on about how this was signaling a brave new world of global trading for the UK.. blah blah..

...and they then mapped out all of the johnnie Foreigner *EU countries (*presumably with all their supposedly "unelected" 'heads eh?)it'd pass through- on through Russia- through the odd 'stan or two.. on it's way to *Yiwu ,in Communist China.

(* Yiwu, which they interestingly pronounced "E.U..". ! (lol))

It seems you can trade with (ie suck up to) Communist countries and pay them to fund & build your (EU-member state designed/controlled?) nuclear power stations...but you so much as mention something like nationalizing the railways and you'll get shouted down for being a "leftie" *-)

Archived