Newbies. Advice on 6 buying 6 berth.

Leggy

Currently campers with 2 kids we're looking to spend £20k to £24k on a motorhome.

We've narrowed down the layout to front dinnette, rear lounge and over cabin beds.

But struggling with all the makes and names to find suitable matches.

We've seen a Swift Suntor 630L which looked ideal but outside price range. And I think Bessacar E695 & Swift Kon-tika 6** may match?

Can anyone point us in the right direction?

Dear Leggy, no-one will be able to tell you the right answer, you will know when you see the van. You may, or may not know, that  Bessecar is part of the Swift group, so fittings and design will be similar. They are UK built and quite easy to use, they do keep their price quite well.

There are cheaper Italian 6 berth motorhomes, with an Ikea type interia.

Go and look at as many as you can, a large dealer such as Brownhills is a good place to see a good variety.

There is a Bessecar in the classifieds section of  www.motorcaravanning.co.uk   in the C class section at £25000. Remember when buying, that the price is always negotiable.

Good luck.

Andrew

As suggested, visit the larger dealerships and spend as much time as possible looking around the new, and used, 'vans.  Collect brochures and price lists to take away to peruse later.  You headed your post 6 buying 6 berth, but your people count tallies 4.  Are you planning travelling/camping with 6 people, because, if you are, things do get more complicated.

The biggest problem will be payload in relationship to what your driving license allows you to drive - you are unlikely to get a workable 6 berth, with 6 belted seats, out of 3,500Kg.  If you can drive a heavier vehicle, things get easier, but the price rises!

I'd say visit Brownhills, Lowdham and Don Amott.  Between those three dealerships you should get as good an overview as is possible, home grown as well as imported, and can assess build and finish quality across quite a spectrum of makes/models. 

At the beginning, concentrate mainly on layouts rather than specific makes, to see what looks as though it will work best for you.  When you find the best layout for your needs look hard at the base vehicles, their engine sizes and payloads. 

What you will probably find, if you haven't already, is that most of the layouts are generic, so that most of the main manufacturers will have something similar somewhere in their ranges, but with detail differences. 

Then, when you find the "right" layout, translate this and your loading needs into the maker's ranges, to see what looks best value with the closest match to your requirement.  Initially, ignore internal colour etc since these tend to change from year to year and remember that you will be unlikely to find an exact match to all your needs.

I'd therefore say go minus children if possible, they'll be excited at first - but hugely bored after the novelty wears off and you start trying to sort the wheat from the chaff.  You'll need to concentrate hard to get the benefit from your visits, and bored kids can be a huge distraction when you need to get down to brass tacks.  Take a camera, and take pictures and notes of what you see, you'll be amazed how difficult it is to remember one 'van out of 20 or 30 looked at!

Then go home, sift through it all agian, be prepared to go back to the dealerships, or to different dealerships, to check details/alternatives, and then hit the internet to see if you can find the type of vehicle you want in your price range.  I think you may have to do more travelling at this stage to hunt out the best on offer, since you need a large van and they are not that common on forecourts.  However, don't totally give up on the new option - all the main base vehicles are changing for 2007, so many dealerships will have ex demonstrator/old stock models to clear about now.  You may not get a 6 berth, but you may find a 4 or 5 berth that is a bit of a Cinderella somewhere, on which someone is willing to offer a very good deal.

Good luck!

Guest JudgeMental

Excellent advise from Brian, particularly regards payload (buyer beware! sales men will tell you anything to get a sale) As for shopping with children they will get tired and bored (and so will you) we leave ours with family when we go to the Düsseldorf shows.

One thing I will add is, have you considered buying an import?

you will save a packet - we saved over 8K on our new Euramobil.

take your time and do your homework and you will be fine :-D

Thanks for the advice. We've started looking (yes you're right about the kids), hence the preference for a rear lounge, forward dinnette and over cabin beds. It'll only be 4 of us, but the kids are always up first and this way they can have the dinnette area first thing.

It's the miriad of names & models that throws me.

Are there any makes to avoid?

Hi Leggy

Whilst it's very important to get the correct layout for your needs, consider also the base vehicle, espeically the engine, as I think so many were built on 2.0 or 2.3TD chassis, which I feel was very underpowered for the potential load they have to carry.

But especially be aware of the maximum plated weight of the vehicle, and whether ther payload is adequate for all you need to carry after the familty are on board......it's surprising how much even the 'necessities' add up, and how little payload is available on some models. You will find some where ther's berely enough to carry the family, let alone the food and equipment.

From my experience, this is not something which many sales-people seem to be aware enough about.

Unfortunately, they all have their flashes of brilliance and their lemons.  The less they cost new, relative to what you get, the lower the quality and durability are liable to drop, but there is really no hard and fast rule.  In any case, some aspects of quality are important to some folk, others don't care.  I think Auto-Sleeper is out because theirs are generally too small, but they are often quoted as the UK quality reference.  Auto-Trail seem to be well respected and have 'vans at about the right size. 

You could also look at any of the German Hymer group vans, plus Knaus, Eura Mobil and Hobby, as a fair price/quality compromise, although this is not so true if bought as RHD in UK. 

Most of the Italian vans are a bit lower down the overall quality stakes, but offer good value for money.  Mobilvetta seem quite durable: Liaka is part of Hymer, so should be good, but individual experiences seem patchy.

Of the French vans the Trigano stable are middle of the road (mainly Chausson, Challenger in UK) but good value, Pilote are quite good quality but Rapido/Flurette seem generally to be the best of the coachbuilts, although neither really produce 'vans of the type you are looking for.

Last point is the restriction of sheer size.  I think you are looking at over 7 metres long - probably around 7.5 metres, about 2.3 metres wide and a bit over 3 metres high.  You won't find country lanes make for relaxed driving and will almost certainly have to stick to main roads/motorways.  On sites you will need a large pitch, and will have to watch overhanging trees like a hawk.  All that interior space has its price! 

An alternative that may be easier on the nerves and the budget could be a smaller motorhome for you, and a tent for the children.  This would not be a truly practical arrangement outside the summer holidays, but if the van were just practical as a 4 berth, it could accommodate you all for the shorter, out of season, breaks (or during really extreme weather) but would work quite well in fine, settled, weather when the early risers wouldn't necessarily disturb their parents.  Just gives that bit of extra excitement and adventure as well.  Then, when the kids sack you as holiday providers, you'd be left with a viable, really comfortable, motorhome for two!

Brian

many thanks, we will bear all this is mind.

The country lanes, accessibility to places and manouvreability is something the gives me a few concerns.

But I guess wether it's 20 ft or 24 ft the problems will be the same?

The Autotrail Scout is another contender. Ours is comming up 10 years old now but its still new to us. Second hand prices depend on the base chassis. Fiat or Merc. Merc,s have rear wheel drive, 5 pot engine, no cam belt to break, a cab heater that works in winter, etc.etc. The Fiat front wheel drive variant corners like its on rails and is significantly less costly.

Ours is a Merc and we would not swap it for a Fiat.

Whatever you choose try and pick something that enables each of you to have your own little space. It makes for a happy co-existance especially when its lashing down with rain!

Good luck

Clive

Leggy,

I think a lot of good advice has been given, and you will know when you have found the right model, as it will normally be just above your budget and worth the stretch. Do look closely at the upholstery on older vans as on some it seems to fray and sag after a short period of time, and with kids jumping about, then having good quality and firm seating that will last will pay dividends.

Enjoy your search and good luck.

David

Hi, consider a Benimar anthus or Europe, there is usually one or two in MMM, built in spain they come with many extras as standard like outside shower,power and gas for barbies plus solar panel, good toilet/shower and rear dinette converts to bed. plenty of under storage inside and out. These vans have now been superseeded but are good value for money. Contact www.benimar.info (B C S motorhomes in Herne Bay) these vans were may still be able to be hired. Good luck

Archived