When does your Broadband Contract expire - the rate jumps up?

StuartO

There was a feature on the radio this morning about making sure you took action when your phone/broadband contract expires because the charges might then jump up steeply.  I couldn't remeber the expiry date and hadn't written it down, so I rang to check.

Easy to find out in my case by ringing them up (they don't show it on line as part of your account details) and I discovered my monthy bill would automatically increase by £25 (i.e. more than double) unless I rang up to renegotiate about a month before that.  It's clearly a deliberate trap on my supplier's part and probably on most

So if you haven't got your expiry date on your callendar, find out what it is, write it down and set a callendar date.

I've been with BT for internet and landline phone the past seven years so know the way they work. It's clever, but very very simple. They openly encourage subscribers to call every six months or so to see if there are any offers which could help reduce the monthly cost. Whatever you get tempted with, they then tie you into BT for 18 months......you can still call months into that new contract to try further reductions, but that results in another 18 months being set. And that's how they keep a hold on their subscribers. Simple eh? Just keep offering 'sweeteners'....a little, but never too much so they have you on the leash.

BT isn't cheap and i know i could get cheaper elsewhere.....but the service is pretty good with 24/7/365 Tech help on freephone, and their 'techies' are good.

MY package deal is high speed broadband, unlimited download, 24/7 use. My phone is 24/7 free calls to any uk landline numbers, also have caller id display which i find useful. I was paying £50 per month for this but recently got it down to £42......plus they chucked me a Hub 6 modem in which is the latest (nowt wrong with the old one but typical BT blurb, the hub6 is "better!).

In a nutshell i think we pay way too high a price for phone/internet connection.

I've used BT in he past and they did seem to give a good service.  However I was attracted by an offer from SSE, recommended by which, of free line rental for 6 months and low cost broadband and weekend free calls, intially about £15 pcm rising after 6 months to £21.95.  Then my area became capable of high speed broadband and SSE promoted £21.50 pcm for that including anytime free calls, and they let me switch because by then I'd done the 18 months.

As you say, they do seem to want to tie you in for 18 months these days.

Bulletguy - 2017-04-11 2:32 PM

I've been with BT for internet and landline phone the past seven years so know the way they work. It's clever, but very very simple. They openly encourage subscribers to call every six months or so to see if there are any offers which could help reduce the monthly cost. Whatever you get tempted with, they then tie you into BT for 18 months......you can still call months into that new contract to try further reductions, but that results in another 18 months being set. And that's how they keep a hold on their subscribers. Simple eh? Just keep offering 'sweeteners'....a little, but never too much so they have you on the leash.

BT isn't cheap and i know i could get cheaper elsewhere.....but the service is pretty good with 24/7/365 Tech help on freephone, and their 'techies' are good.

MY package deal is high speed broadband, unlimited download, 24/7 use. My phone is 24/7 free calls to any uk landline numbers, also have caller id display which i find useful. I was paying £50 per month for this but recently got it down to £42......plus they chucked me a Hub 6 modem in which is the latest (nowt wrong with the old one but typical BT blurb, the hub6 is "better!).

In a nutshell i think we pay way too high a price for phone/internet connection.

Yes I renegotiated with BT recently and they sent me one their new smart hub6's. I just banged it straight out on Ebay without even unpacking it and got about £70 for it. :D

Barryd999 - 2017-04-11 6:55 PM

Bulletguy - 2017-04-11 2:32 PM

Yes I renegotiated with BT recently and they sent me one their new smart hub6's. I just banged it straight out on Ebay without even unpacking it and got about £70 for it. :D

I might do that with my 5 hub.

The 6 is a bit daft......it's huge by comparison to the 5 and i can't see why it needs be so big. Perhaps the best thing about it is the blue connection light isn't such a vivid glow like the 5 but that's about all. Oh it's also got a USB port though no idea what you can stick in that. :-S

Archived