The Spy in the IRA

Bulletguy

Can't open the link, but I did read about the same article i think in Britain's best news paper.. The Daily Mail. If one of them was going to be murdered and a choice had to be made to which one it had to be, then the one who was least useful would be the one to be sacrificed. Not a decision I would have liked to make.

Dave

nowtelse2do - 2017-04-13 6:59 PM

Can't open the link, but I did read about the same article i think in Britain's best news paper.. The Daily Mail. If one of them was going to be murdered and a choice had to be made to which one it had to be, then the one who was least useful would be the one to be sacrificed. Not a decision I would have liked to make.

Dave

The Beano is far from a "news" paper Dave though i appreciate your humorous observation! (lol)

You should sign up to iPlayer....it's free and all you need is a valid email address then you can go to the BBC site and there are lots of programmes available on it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/search?q=Panorama

Scappaticci (Stakeknife) is a thoroughly nasty piece of work and he certainly enjoyed what he was doing.

• 3 weeks later...
Violet1956 - 2017-05-05 4:02 PM

Thanks for the link BG. I just watched it on iplayer. I do wonder where Steakknife is now. Chilling and depressing in equal measure.

Veronica

I imagine somewhere in hiding as i doubt he has any friends from either side.

There are exceptions though in the field of intelligence work and one such example was Eddie Chapman, known as Agent ZigZag who operated as a double agent during ww2. Ex-safe blower and bank robber he was recruited by SOE as it then was. He's the only British person to be awarded the Iron Cross.

BBC made a fascinating documentary with him just a few months before he died in 1997. If you've not seen it it's well worth watching. Makes the Bond films look a joke!

Part 1 >

Part 2 >

Part 3 >

Part 4 >

joe66 - 2017-05-07 10:10 PM

I read the book a few years ago, very interesting read. Full learnt version here

Yes i found that one too but there's something wrong on the audio which sounds like a 45rpm played at 33rpm! If you listen to a few lines from any of the four part clips i posted, then compare, you will soon note the difference and my hearing is far past it's best!

I loved the story of Chapman. He reminded me a bit in both character and appearance of Ronnie Biggs.

Bulletguy - 2017-05-05 4:34 PM

Thanks for the link BG. I just watched it on iplayer. I do wonder where Steakknife is now. Chilling and depressing in equal measure.

Veronica

There are exceptions though in the field of intelligence work and one such example was Eddie Chapman, known as Agent ZigZag who operated as a double agent during ww2. Ex-safe blower and bank robber he was recruited by SOE as it then was. He's the only British person to be awarded the Iron Cross.

BBC made a fascinating documentary with him just a few months before he died in 1997. If you've not seen it it's well worth watching. Makes the Bond films look a joke!

Part 1 >

Part 2 >

Part 3 >

Part 4 >

This sounds interesting too! There's another evenings viewing taken care of.

Lanny - 2017-05-08 6:31 AM

Bulletguy - 2017-05-05 4:34 PM

Veronica

Part 1 >

Part 2 >

Part 3 >

Part 4 >

This sounds interesting too! There's another evenings viewing taken care of.

Indeed it is. I won't spoil it for you other than saying you will find his life story truly mind boggling. To use one of his quotes i think he said at the end of the documentary, "actually i had quite a good war".

Archived