Fly stopping doors / nets

Chanel5

Hope someone can help here.

I'm badly treated by mosquitoes and I am looking at ways of keeping them out of my Motorhome. All the windows have nets on them but they fly in when the door is opened.

We have tried the long-ribbon attachment but it keeps falling down. I used adhesives because I do not want to drill any holes in my new motorhome.

I have seen a Dutch Motorhome with a netted inner door which seems to be one answer, but I cannot find any reference to inner doors on the net.

I would prefer something that I can fit myself to save money.

My Motorhome is a new Elnagh slim 6g and I have read all the 'mosquito' threads on repellants.

Thanks

David

I would recommend the mosquito curtains that used to be sold at the shows - Flyscreens I think they were called. You overlay a couple of strips that are weighted along the bottom, and they are effective at keeping most flying things out! although rigid inner doors are probably better.

We had one on our first van - a Laika - and it was brilliant!

B-)

Hi Chanel5, in my trailing touring 'van I have the type described by Brian Kirby, 100% effective. In my motor caravan, I have the two strips of fly net hanging down overlapping with weights at the bottom, only O.K. In my last Motor caravan I had the type like a couple of dozen lambs tails hanging down. They were very good no bother just walk in or out, no problem, they do not get stuck, nor do they come out of the runners. Spray them with Citronella and they even keep Scottish midges out. Dave Newell sells them £15 per set. www.davenewell.co.uk

I purchased the "monkey tails" type last year and I've been very pleased with them. It holds to the van with 2 small hooks and can be easily removed when not in use. No problem with the dog going in and out either. In a previous van with a full fly door he jumped into the van one evening not realising it was shut. Well labradors aren't noted for being clever. :-D

We bought "lamb's tails" from Dave Newell which we have found very good. In our previous van we had a "proper" fly screen, this was not altogether satisfactory as dogs tried to get through it and my little grandsons were inclined to push their hands against it with dire results.

Empress

empress - 2006-12-29 3:22 PM

In our previous van we had a "proper" fly screen, this was not altogether satisfactory as dogs tried to get through it .

Empress

And don't they look so surprised when they find the door's not really open after all? :-S

I seriously doubt that any fly screen will be midge proof.

I went to Scotland with a van that had a full fly door. I watched the little b*****s land on the door, walk through the mesh and then take off again.

I loved Scotland but hated those damn midges.

Ralph - 2006-12-30 9:03 AM I seriously doubt that any fly screen will be midge proof. I went to Scotland with a van that had a full fly door. I watched the little b*****s land on the door, walk through the mesh and then take off again. I loved Scotland but hated those damn midges.

Not a door, but we had a similar experience with mosquitos and the window blinds.  When the flyscreen element is pulled down, the blind roller diameter reduces by the amount of material that has been unrolled, leaving quite a gap oround the roller inside the blind box.  The mossies just walked up the outside of the mesh, over the top of the roller inside the blind box, and then back down until they appeared on the inside launch pad and, hey presto, dinner!

You could try burning the large citronella candles outside the door not sure as to i f they work WOULD YOU BELEIVE when we went to CC club site at Oban we bought large candle it was in a foil tray, and bought the Avon oil that was sold in shop [very effective against the dreaded midge] We were there 10 day[ In caravan at that time] we were'nt bothered at all we only saw a few. Failing that try a plug in as you would use abroad with the little tablet things you insert they are supposed to deter midges! I remember using it in Dominican republic and waking up from my siesta to see a lizard perched on the top of this thing called Buzz Off it must of smelled of something it was attracted to. (lol)

I made my own, it is possible to buy the netting I got mine from Barrons. Can't remember the size but large enough to cover the whole of the door aperture.

I also bought a length of curtain rail similar to the stuff that the cab curtains run on fron O'learys.

After a bit of sewing to allow the curtain hooks to be fixed and also at the bottom of curtain I inserted 2p pieces to weight it down.

Screwed the curtain rail above the door fix netting and hey presto fly screen door.

Works reasonably well total cost about £15.

Pete

Archived