Help re first motorhome decision

Roadtrippers

Hi there. We've found a van that really works for us in terms of layout but there are some issues. It's a Mooveo c707 priced £18.5 for a 2007 reg with 33,000 miles on the clock. It's an ex-rental van so the inside has quite a bit of wear and tear:

1. Small crack in the base of the shower tray

2. Mild discolouring to the ceiling around the vent above the cab bed (tested for damp and no apparent issues)

3. Upholstery quite tired but not threadbare

4. A couple of edging trims damaged

5. Mice droppings detected (van has been stored over winter and was last rented out last October)

6. Some mildew on several of the fly screens

We were sure we could tidy her up but are now concerned that we might struggle to re-sell the vehicle. Externally the van is in pretty good condition with a couple of small dents where doors have swung open.

On the plus side, the van has been regularly serviced, kept to hire standard, has 4 new tyres and will have new habitation cert and MOT. NB 3 previous owners.

Based on the above, what do people think? Would we be able to sell on in a couple of years? Really would appreciate some advice. Many thanks.

Thank you for your reply. We expect to use it for 3-5 years but would then want to sell it on so resale price & depreciation are important to us. We can tidy up the shabby bits but worry about selling on an ex-rental which isn't perfect inside ... we have also seen a van that's not as spacious but still meets our needs (Chausson Flash 2006) which is immaculate. My heart says the Mooveo but my head says the Chausson Flash .. any thoughts? ??

I think you may have already answered your own question.

If the layout works for you, then that's half the battle - although I would imagine at this stage that is more of an assumption than a fact.

As to residual values - the bunk layout is not popular, but there is a niche market.

If you plan to keep the van for the timescale suggested it will be 13-15 years old, an age where prices seem to stagnate and hold firm.

I think you're missing the crucial point, this purchase is (I'm guessing) for you to derive great family holidays via the freedom of motorhoming

Whether this van offers a particularly good deal or indeed value is another question - go in low, citing all the niggles and see what happens - I'd start at 15k and stay there, based on it being ex-hire and an unpopular brand.

Do make sure you get a thorough damp and hab check - including underneath.

33000 on a ten year old ex-hire van, that doesn't add up, sound like it has spent a lot of time sitting around not being used which is worse than for the van than being used. As for the discoloured patch, who tested for damp, if it is the seller get a second opinion, could cost thousands to repair.

It you are really set on this van I would budget at least 5k to bring it up to spec, and you will still have a van that could be difficult to sell on. I think I'd walk away.

Most of the advice you will see on buying a Motorhome is to get one in really nice condition, one careful owner, etc.

This isn't just because they will be more pleasant to own, but because the cost of repairs will be lower, so more cost effective in the long term.

When you go to look at such a vehicle you will most likely be assessing the owner as much as the vehicle, e.g. do they look like they might drive it up a gentle incline revving the engine and slipping the clutch like mad? Do they put it into reverse while the vehicle is still rolling chipping metal off the gears, etc.?

The whole point of buying a 'low owner' vehicle is to make this assessment easier and it reduces the risk that it has not been driven by someone you wouldn't want driving your car, let alone a £30k motorhome.

How do you do that with a vehicle that has had 400 + driver/users?

400 driver/users is the same as an owner in terms assessing a second hand buy in terms of hidden potential issues. That makes this a real risk.

How many people would buy a Car that had 50 owners?.

Please don't underestimate the cost of parts for this vehicle, just minor items, if obtainable at all, are likely to be expensive.

I think Lenny's estimate above is conservative.

If it was a 1993 model in this condition, it wouldn't take unkindly to a 'none original fix', but on such a 'recent' vehicle any repair that does not look like factory will not 'add value'.

Motorhome hirers are a canny lot, they are in this to make money.

If they could make this Motorhome look presentable to save buying a £50,000 replacement, they would.

I would suggest that even they think it has now come to the end of it's cost effective life? They think continuing to run it is going to be more expensive than buying something in better condition.

In my opinion, an ex hire usually needs to be almost scrap value to be worth buying.

aandncaravan - 2017-04-15 9:27 AM

In my opinion, an ex hire usually needs to be almost scrap value to be worth buying.

There are exceptions, Hymer will not allow their dealers to hire vans out more than 2 years old and the normal practice in Germany is to put a hire van on the road in April and sell it a few months later in September. We have hired Hymer's twice in Germany they were immaculate but this is reflected in the sale price.

Guest pelmetman
lennyhb - 2017-04-15 9:14 AM

33000 on a ten year old ex-hire van, that doesn't add up, sound like it has spent a lot of time sitting around not being used which is worse than for the van than being used. As for the discoloured patch, who tested for damp, if it is the seller get a second opinion, could cost thousands to repair.

It you are really set on this van I would budget at least 5k to bring it up to spec, and you will still have a van that could be difficult to sell on. I think I'd walk away.

My thoughts exactly ;-) ........If the OP is concerned about resale value then he/she needs to look at van's on the cusp of becoming classics B-) .......An Auto sleeper when they built them from GRP would be top of my wish list even today (Don't tell Horace I said that 8-) )......on a Transit chassis of course ;-) ......

Chausson are a decent brand - I've owned one and there's plenty around.

You need to do some homework - starting with the archived MMM test reports on this website.

It's all subjective, but what ever you choose check that it's got a decent payload and has not suffered water ingress.

As has been suggested, it might be worth you dipping your toe in with a cheaper van to start with.

Archived