France for Dummies (Us)

Berniea

My wife and me and 3 dogs are heading to France iat teh end of May for 3 weeks.

We've got the overnight passage booked from Plymouth to Roscoff and we've got the dogs passports sorted out and I have taken care of insurance for the van and I also have bought a "Driving Kit" which means we comply with French law.

We've not made any other preparations and never having been to France in a motor home we're not sure what to do!

We're heading down the west coast(ish) and expect to finish up somewhere near Bergerac before heading back home.

Would appreciate any suggestions you might have regarding sites and towns to visit.

Thanks

When we did our first MH trip to France the first thing you will find is how MH friendly the place is compared to the UK, lot's of Aires and reasonably priced campsites. We never booked sites out of season and never had any problems. The fun was to stay off the toll roads and just explore as we travelled but we didn't have a time limit. ACSI is good for sites but there are lots to choose from that are not in ACSI. One thing to watch for is for sites that charge for dogs (we don't) we only have one dog and were only charged once or twice.

There is a list on OAL of vets to gets your dogs checked before you return to the UK, watch out as the price can vary, we have been charged anything from €10 to €40.

Just enjoy

Hi

Been to and through France many many times - never had a problem with anything - just drive and enjoy. Our dog was never a problem. Staying off tolls is good advice - just let GPS direct you (but check where it is sending you!) Aires are simpler for dogs as nobody to check anything! *-)

1. Domaine du Logis at Chappelle Aux Filtzmeens about 20 miles south of St Malo.

2. Camping Lille D'Offard at Saumur on the Loire.

3. La Garangeoire at St Juliens des Landes

4. Bel Ombrage at St Cybranet

Lots of others. Places to visit:

Mont St Michel

St Malo

Dinan

Bordeaux

Bergerac

Domme

Anywhere!

Hi

Travelling in France is brilliant lots of straight roads and little traffic usually. Agree with Acsi as they do discounts when you will be there, take a photo copy of your passports as some sites will ask for passport details unless you have an ID card with those details on.

Also my tip is keep your fuel tank above 1/3 full as sometimes it can get worrying when you don't see a petrol station for ages. And always keep to speed levels, when you pass through a village sign it means 50kmph or less, unless it tells you different

We go over middle of May, really looking forward to it. Enjoy you travel, and as my OH says, stay in holiday mode...

If your landing in Roscoff then your starting your tour in one of the most beautiful parts of France. Brittany is home to the largest number of Camping Car Aires in any region of France and its stunning. Its up to you of course but I wouldnt make a beeline for the west coast and miss out on whats around you. You could easily eat up three weeks just in Brittany. However if it were me I would see what the weather is doing nearer the time. It could be lovely in Brittany but it could be grim. Your chances of good and more settled weather are better south of the Loire valley which tends to be where it generally changes.

Bergerac area is good. Well the Dordogne to the east of Bergerac. So if its more settled down there then head there. I did a whistle stop tour guide for a friend who only had a couple of weeks to see the Dordogne. might be useful. Ill see if I Can attach it to this thread.

dordogne guide2.pdf

crocs - 2017-04-23 10:16 AM

1. Domaine du Logis at Chappelle Aux Filtzmeens about 20 miles south of St Malo.

2. Camping Lille D'Offard at Saumur on the Loire.

3. La Garangeoire at St Juliens des Landes

4. Bel Ombrage at St Cybranet

Lots of others. Places to visit:

Mont St Michel

St Malo

Dinan

Bordeaux

Bergerac

Domme

Anywhere![/quote

Mont St Michel, is not easy to get to now. You have park outside, . we tried last year, and decided not to bother, as we have been before, when you could park on the sand close to. Would like to see how it looks now,

Re First time in France.

I have a printed card with the conversion of Miles to Kilometers, which we keep on the dash board, to remind us of the speed limits !! Otherwise just enjoy your trip. You may find that some sites will only allow 2 dogs maxim, so do check before you go there

PJay

On your return, make a detour to Sarzeau in the Morbihan part of Brittany.

You'll need a vet for worming and passport stamping and http://cliniqueveterinairesarzeau.chezmonveto.com/

only charges for the tablets and not the consultation, so you'll save a fortune.

There's a great aire nearby in Port Cruesty/Arzon.

http://www.rhuys.com/arzon/aire-communale-de-camping-car-de-kermor/tabid/716/offreid/bcbc73cf-abc1-4b09-8c9c-c205b2d41dd4

As mentioned France is a lovely place to visit., and w ehave done so on many occasions. However, Brexit is now on the table so to speak and there could be concerns that the French decide to 'have a go' at British tourists. I mean not the general populace but the Police, who may decide it is good fun to pick on British vehicles for checks.

So, try to make sure you have covered everything and do not speed, as if you would. However, some limits have no 'wriggle factor' and hefty fines can follow. There is also the issue of emmisons certificates for certain cities.

We are heading down again this year but I admit to moving as quickly as we can through France to Spain, just in case. Apart from Gibralter the Spanish are operating normal service it appears.

It is a shame but I would rather be safe than sorry.. Areas around the various Channel Ports are probably the main areas of concern, but more vigourous Border checks would not surprise me.

It will be France's loss but sometimes they cannot see the common sense approach.

Wow People!

Many thanks for your advice and comments - many of which I would never have considered.

Your experience will come in very handy in a less than a month.

Once I've had a chance to digest our options I may come back to you, if that's OK?

Thanks again.

Dave225 - 2017-04-23 7:39 PM

As mentioned France is a lovely place to visit., and w ehave done so on many occasions. However, Brexit is now on the table so to speak and there could be concerns that the French decide to 'have a go' at British tourists. I mean not the general populace but the Police, who may decide it is good fun to pick on British vehicles for checks.

We travelled after the ref. last year and the French were marvellous. My wife gets concerned and I don't think its going to be an issue but seriously, has anyone had any -ve experiences since Article 50 was handed over?

Anyway have fun, driving in France is relaxing. The most dangerous thing you do in France is turn right (in a RH drive vehicle).

Mag&Hal - 2017-04-24 4:07 PM

We travelled after the ref. last year and the French were marvellous. My wife gets concerned and I don't think its going to be an issue but seriously, has anyone had any -ve experiences since Article 50 was handed over?

Anyway have fun, driving in France is relaxing. The most dangerous thing you do in France is turn right (in a RH drive vehicle).

As stated we have had many wonderful holidays there. I accept we have moved to Spain because a) the weather can be more reliable and b) France started getting quite a bit more expensive and being penniless pensioners, we try to get the most for our Bucks. Interestingly we found far more French campers arriving in Spain as well, for what they admitted were similar reaons.

I hope things do not go pear shped but the French can be a bit unpredictable at times and I would hate to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I am sure as longas you keep away from 'hotspots' such as Paris then things will be fine, but seeing Police heavily armed does not give me a comfortable feeling. One could say the same is happening in London but then again i would avoid that place as well.

So, try to make sure you have covered everything and do not speed, as if you would. However, some limits have no 'wriggle factor' and hefty fines can follow. There is also the issue of emmisons certificates for certain cities.

We are heading down again this year but I admit to moving as quickly as we can through France to Spain, just in case. Apart from Gibralter the Spanish are operating normal service it appears.

It is a shame but I would rather be safe than sorry.. Areas around the various Channel Ports are probably the main areas of concern, but more vigourous Border checks would not surprise me.

It will be France's loss but sometimes they cannot see the common sense approach.

Bernie, please take the above with a pinch of salt. With my apologies to Dave, his imagination is running riot.

There are people in Britain who say they hate the French but, when pressed, most haven't been to France. There are people in France who say they hate "les Anglais", but, when pressed most haven't been to Britain. There is a wide range of opinion over Brexit, both sides of the channel, but my experiences since the referendum are that the French are bitterly disappointed that we intend leaving, and think we are making a great mistake. Their response has been one of sorrow and puzzlement, not resentment, and I can't see any reason why you should be burdened with uninformed speculation based on Dave's nightmares.

I have been visiting France since 1956, I have friends in France, both British and French, I spend some time pretty much every year in France, I speak French, and with further apologies to Dave, I have never read such spiteful and xenophobic tripe. Have I ever met a rude, disagreeable French man or woman? Of course I have. But then I have also met such people in every country I have visited - including the land of my birth! You'll be fine, just don't worry.

Brian Kirby - 2017-04-24 9:29 PM

Bernie, please take the above with a pinch of salt. With my apologies to Dave, his imagination is running riot.

There are people in Britain who say they hate the French but, when pressed, most haven't been to France. There are people in France who say they hate "les Anglais", but, when pressed most haven't been to Britain. There is a wide range of opinion over Brexit, both sides of the channel, but my experiences since the referendum are that the French are bitterly disappointed that we intend leaving, and think we are making a great mistake. Their response has been one of sorrow and puzzlement, not resentment, and I can't see any reason why you should be burdened with uninformed speculation based on Dave's nightmares.

I have been visiting France since 1956, I have friends in France, both British and French, I spend some time pretty much every year in France, I speak French, and with further apologies to Dave, I have never read such spiteful and xenophobic tripe. Have I ever met a rude, disagreeable French man or woman? Of course I have. But then I have also met such people in every country I have visited - including the land of my birth! You'll be fine, just don't worry.

I agree with Brian. My impression is that most Europeans (for now) are simply bewildered and saddened by our decision. However I shall be slapping a few of these on my van this year as I head across to the Mainland. :D https://www.redbubble.com/shop/i+love+eu+stickers

Barryd999 - 2017-04-25 11:07 AM

I agree with Brian. My impression is that most Europeans (for now) are simply bewildered and saddened by our decision. However I shall be slapping a few of these on my van this year as I head across to the Mainland. :D https://www.redbubble.com/shop/i+love+eu+stickers

Or slap two of these on your numberplates. 8-)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/?iid=281171648551&&&adgroupid=33676502101&rlsatarget=aud-168805810866%3Apla-270397364843&abcId=893836&adtype=pla&merchantid=101724959&poi=&googleloc=1007362&device=c&campaignid=707291931&crdt=0&chn=ps

Brian,

As is often with you, you twist everything to suit your own bias. I never stated anywhere that i hated the French, and I suspect that over the decades I have lived and worked in more countries than you have seen, including many in Europe.. I have also had very many happy holidays in France. Some countries we have livd in as a family were good, some absolutely terrible and we have had occasions where we were flown out at short notice. As for being spiteful, again you just cannot stop twisting everything anyone says. I have merely suggested caution which is something we should all follow anywhere these days. Being caught in the wrong place at the wrong time can, as we have seen on the news, can lead to a very tragic end. For example, one year we got out of the Metro at the wrong station in Budapest and walked slap bang into a Far Right rally with armed Police watching them. Not very nice and we scooted rapidly back into the Metro. I also suggested clearly that it was the Police whom I felt could decide to enforce regulations vigourously, if they felt like it. That can also happen elsewhere and that to avoid that event I suggested making sure all your paperwork is correct and that you follow the rules of the road carefully.

I also stated the main reasons we move more quickly through France was due to weather and costs. We find it has become far more expensive in recent years, certainly compared with southern Spain. On our last trip north we passed army vehicles att he French/Spanish border as Mr Hollande had decided to show force after an atrocity somewhere. It caused long queues and a bit of chaos, but we got through fairly quickly. I am also sure even you will agree that it has not been unknown for the French to throw up blockades on motorways at short notice because they have some grievance or other. It is not something I look forward to, so try to avoid any possibility.

As for being xenophobic I suspect that I would not have succeeded as an international worker for 40 years with such an attitude. Brian, I get the distinct impression that you feel that your point if view is the only one that is correct, or matters and frankly, I have had enough of your patronising.

As they say 'it was fun while it lasted'. but I have better things to do with my time. Spain is beckoning for a long summer.

Dave225 - 2017-04-25 4:30 PM

Brian,

As is often with you, you twist everything to suit your own bias. I never stated anywhere that i hated the French, and I suspect that over the decades I have lived and worked in more countries than you have seen, including many in Europe.. I have also had very many happy holidays in France. Some countries we have livd in as a family were good, some absolutely terrible and we have had occasions where we were flown out at short notice. As for being spiteful, again you just cannot stop twisting everything anyone says. I have merely suggested caution which is something we should all follow anywhere these days. Being caught in the wrong place at the wrong time can, as we have seen on the news, can lead to a very tragic end. For example, one year we got out of the Metro at the wrong station in Budapest and walked slap bang into a Far Right rally with armed Police watching them. Not very nice and we scooted rapidly back into the Metro. I also suggested clearly that it was the Police whom I felt could decide to enforce regulations vigourously, if they felt like it. That can also happen elsewhere and that to avoid that event I suggested making sure all your paperwork is correct and that you follow the rules of the road carefully.

I also stated the main reasons we move more quickly through France was due to weather and costs. We find it has become far more expensive in recent years, certainly compared with southern Spain. On our last trip north we passed army vehicles att he French/Spanish border as Mr Hollande had decided to show force after an atrocity somewhere. It caused long queues and a bit of chaos, but we got through fairly quickly. I am also sure even you will agree that it has not been unknown for the French to throw up blockades on motorways at short notice because they have some grievance or other. It is not something I look forward to, so try to avoid any possibility.

As for being xenophobic I suspect that I would not have succeeded as an international worker for 40 years with such an attitude. Brian, I get the distinct impression that you feel that your point if view is the only one that is correct, or matters and frankly, I have had enough of your patronising.

As they say 'it was fun while it lasted'. but I have better things to do with my time. Spain is beckoning for a long summer.

Dave, I'm sorry, but there was no twist, and no bias. I read what you wrote, as you wrote it, and responded accordingly. Just carefully read again what you actually wrote, and then carefully read again what I actually wrote in response. Most of your points in reply above would be fair comment, had I actually written what you allege I wrote, and had you actually written what you now claim to have written.

What you wrote is tripe, based solely on your own nightmare perceptions of how the French may react to Brexit, when there is not the slightest indication that such reactions are a) likely or b) happening. The French police I have encountered have been polite, professional, and helpful. I'm sure there are the over zealous ones, but that is not unique to France.

To insert such an unjustified worry worm into the head of someone who is about to make their first trip to France in their motorhome, because you harbour such fanciful doubts, is downright mean and unhelpful.

I'm all in favour of warning of the genuine risks of foreign motorhoming - such as forgetting to drive on the right - but inserting purely imaginary and hysterical risks arising from Brexit helps no-one at all.

It matters not one iota how many other countries you've visited or lived in, or how many far right rallies you've stumbled into here or there, the subject at hand was western France, not the rest of the world.

Risk levels vary with territory, and France, apart from the odd terrorist incident at present, is low risk. The other risks you cite merely fall into the category of "stuff happens", and can happen pretty well anywhere, at any time. I would however add that if you think "Spain" is significantly "safer" overall than "France", I think you are in for a bit of a surprise!

I'm not going to trade tit for tat distortions with you; I just don't think it was fair, reasonable, or responsible, to parade wholly imaginary risks before people about to take a first trip to a country that, overall, presents no greater average day-to-day risk to visitors than the UK: in fact, probably less.

My apologies to everyone else.

In my experience the Police in Spain are the ones to watch out for not the French police. Whenever you hear stories of motorhomers coming a cropper with the law its nearly always Spain. Never had any bother with either to be honest and always found both perfectly friendly and fair but if there were to be any backlash by officials because of Brexit why would it be confined to France?

France is Europes playground, the French will want to keep it that way. Cant wait to get back there ASAP to be honest.

With Dave and Brian's view being so different I think (which is a dangerous thing in itself for me) that there is a way around this situation and am willing to give it a shot next month on my drive home to Oxford. I can see you are impressed already. Anyway, I have a set of false number plates removed form a French Motorhome similar to mine in Spain last night. Before the boarder I intend to swop my plates for the false one's and dress as a French onion seller with beret and blue and white stripy tea shirt. I will speak English but, and here's my "twist" in the accent of the late Arthur Bostrum of 'Ello 'Ello fame. I should be back in Blighty for tea and sausages within 4 weeks. :-D

Barryd999 - 2017-04-25 6:37 PM

In my experience the Police in Spain are the ones to watch out for not the French police. Whenever you hear stories of motorhomers coming a cropper with the law its nearly always Spain. Never had any bother with either to be honest and always found both perfectly friendly and fair but if there were to be any backlash by officials because of Brexit why would it be confined to France?

France is Europes playground, the French will want to keep it that way. Cant wait to get back there ASAP to be honest.

not so much the police more the military, ie the Guardia Civil. If there was ever a contradiction in terms, that's it right there. They are a hang over from a dictatorship that refuses to die. The Falange who ruled by fear and if you have ever had to talk to them that is how they "enforce" the law or even make it up!with threats of "we will confiscate your vehicle " if you do not pay. They are self financing so that's all that drives them and corruption is rife. Ask any Spanish person, even the youngsters will tell you that. You can still be issued with a denouncia which could be fatal during the civil war. I have many Spanish and Catalan friends and they say that they are still a third world country and I have to say I would go along with their view.

My only encounter with the French police was being pulled into a roadside checkpoint as we passed it for the second time, having failed to find a nearby aire. They had guessed what we were doing and pulled us over just to give directions.

As to the 'late' Arthur Bostrum, he looked remarkably well when I saw him on a TV quiz show a few weeks ago.

keninpalamos - 2017-04-25 6:42 PM

With Dave and Brian's view being so different I think (which is a dangerous thing in itself for me) that there is a way around this situation and am willing to give it a shot next month on my drive home to Oxford. I can see you are impressed already. Anyway, I have a set of false number plates removed form a French Motorhome similar to mine in Spain last night. Before the boarder I intend to swop my plates for the false one's and dress as a French onion seller with beret and blue and white stripy tea shirt. I will speak English but, and here's my "twist" in the accent of the late Arthur Bostrum of 'Ello 'Ello fame. I should be back in Blighty for tea and sausages within 4 weeks. :-D

Thanks Ken, a little humour was well overdue! :-D

aandy - 2017-04-25 7:50 PM

My only encounter with the French police was being pulled into a roadside checkpoint as we passed it for the second time, having failed to find a nearby aire. They had guessed what we were doing and pulled us over just to give directions.

As to the 'late' Arthur Bostrum, he looked remarkably well when I saw him on a TV quiz show a few weeks ago.

I only said he was late. :-D I do beg his pardon :$ Drive past the Guardia twice and you'll be arrested for spying or at least charged. Usually about 120€ (lol)

I endorse most of the foregoing, and don't worry about article 51, no-one here does.

Th e point I would try to endorse would be speed limits. There are now an awful lot of permanent and temporary speed cameras, and in France you are not allowed to be even 1 kph over the limit, 50 is 50 is 50.

No allowance is made, and they now have the facility to trace you through your UK address.

French roads are generally great, but can be a bit narrow off the beaten track, I try to not take chances and never try to be brave.

We live a bit further south than you are planning to roam, but my tip would be to go to Archachone and the Dune de Pila.

AGD

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2017-04-25 11:07 AM

I'm getting one of these to go with my Fruitcake sticker :D .........

https://i0.wp.com/www.vleporama.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/IMG_20160630_192655.jpg?resize=300%2C300

Or maybe one of these B-) .......

https://ih0.redbubble.net/image.229775566.8121/st%2Csmall%2C215x235-pad%2C210x230%2Cf8f8f8.lite-1u3.jpg

Or perhaps this one :-S ..........

https://ih0.redbubble.net/image.268802596.3336/st%2Csmall%2C215x235-pad%2C210x230%2Cf8f8f8.lite-1u1.jpg

Better still >:-) .......

https://ih0.redbubble.net/image.282381913.1460/st%2Csmall%2C215x235-pad%2C210x230%2Cf8f8f8.lite-1u2.jpg

Archived