Downsizing

sandalwood

colin - 2017-05-12 9:33 AM

Very odd, the xlwb on x250 was only ever built on Maxi chassis, maybe the x290 is different or they do a special for v68

I think, but not certain, that the two different chassis designations are: LXH2 (standard) and LXH3 (Maxi).

No doubt somebody will be able to verify? Derek??

The H2 and H3 are height, I've had a quick look at standard specs and it appears XLWB (636) is still only on Maxi chassis, but not seen max axle loads for the 35 and 40, so they may have changed which would be sensible on a 35 as 2.4t on the rear makes it very stiff.

So far i've only found axle limits for the Boxer, the only XLWB are built on Maxi chassis and have rear as 2.4t, so that means either Fiat are doing something different or the v68 is built to spec, this wouldn't be odd as I'm not sure they list the body used on my globecar in standard specs.

colin - 2017-05-12 6:48 PM

The H2 and H3 are height, I've had a quick look at standard specs and it appears XLWB (636) is still only on Maxi chassis, but not seen max axle loads for the 35 and 40, so they may have changed which would be sensible on a 35 as 2.4t on the rear makes it very stiff.

Ah, thanks for the clarification on that point.

As far as the non-maxi chassis being used on the Rapido V68 - I can't say if it is a bespoke one off on the part of Rapido, or if there are vans converted by other companies using the extra long body that are not on the maxi chassis.

As an aside, my van has 15" wheels, does the maxi always have 16" fitted?

mikebeaches - 2017-05-12 7:36 PM

Now that's interesting, i've only got details of Boxer and no XLWB (L4, 636) has 15" wheels, they are all on 16" with Maxi axle limits.

Cannot be 100% certain, but I'm leaning towards v68 having a 'custom' chassis not normally listed and only available to volume converters, going back to early days of x250 I got hold of a list of options much longer than any dealer had, when I inquired about one of these I was told they are not available to general public.

colin - 2017-05-12 8:28 PM

mikebeaches - 2017-05-12 7:36 PM

Now that's interesting, i've only got details of Boxer and no XLWB (L4, 636) has 15" wheels, they are all on 16" with Maxi axle limits.

Cannot be 100% certain, but I'm leaning towards v68 having a 'custom' chassis not normally listed and only available to volume converters, going back to early days of x250 I got hold of a list of options much longer than any dealer had, when I inquired about one of these I was told they are not available to general public.

All sounds feasible Colin. Additionally, Rapido produce the range of Dreamer pvcs + Campereve in France, so they are fairly big in terms of van conversions, and presumably therefore have significant buying clout with Fiat.

Archived