Water ingress - fiat ducato 2000

Alenina

Water ingress into the engine compartment on a fiat ducato 2000 - Has anyone got this problem please? or more to the point, a solution. Its due to a rubber seal that has rotted, not the problem most people seem to have with the seal between the windscreen and scuttle. The seal is basically a strip of rubber formed into a U shape and fits between the scuttle and the metal bodywork of the vehicle (subframe?), where rain water is drained away out of the scuttle. i have been told this is no longer available from fiat, but havent checked myself, but it evidently isnt a very good solution as the seal is not moulded in a U shape but is a straight piece thats been cut in the corners to bend it into a U shape, and debris collects in the corners and rots it. thanks for any advice :)

vehicle is fiat ducato, year 2000. i think it may be an X230 or X244.

Water into the engine bay was down to a badly design scuttle drainage system with inadequate capacity to get the water away. The two drainage holes and pipes were not only inadequate but quite often were clogged with leaf mould etc and the near side pipe came out on top of the transmision causing water to end up in the gearbox via the vent on the top of the box causing all sorts of problems with stiff gear changing, jumping out of 2nd and 4th if I remember correctly and difficult to select some gears. I think later models were different

Archived