Overnight Parking near Runswick Bay?

kevandali

Off to York today (Sat 29th April) to see our youngest daughter as she has finally got rid of her dissertation. YAY :-D

We are then going on to Whitby and Runswick Bay, just me, my better half and the pooch.
Just wondered if any of you knowledgable lot know anywhere where we can just park up for the night. ('not so Wild' camping with consideration for others)

Very short notice, i know, but you lot never cease to amaze me, thanks in advance you lovely lot.

Not the info I expected but regardless, had a brill time.

Parked in a public car park in Runswick, paid for parking and went in the Cliffmount Hotel opposite the car park.
Asked the owner about overnight parking and he said no one really checks but he couldn't say for sure if it was ok.
Had a good walk and then noticed a huge sign saying 'no overnight parking or camping'
Rightly or wrongly, parked in a corner out of the way as it was a huge car park, ended up spending about £40 in the pub/hotel on a lovely meal and a few beers.
Stayed the night and paid for parking again in the morning and had another good walk.

I do understand the reasons behind not encouraging overnight stays in empty car parks but we actually poured a  bit of money into the local economy, left no trace of ever being there and enjoyed our visit at the same time.

If money was no object I could see a lot of motorhomers using campsites all the time but that simply is not the case.
Rightly or wrongly, we will continue to use our van in multiple ways, campsites, aires and free parking. :-)

The large 'No overnight camping' sign is not unusual in North Yorkshire they are just about everywhere and there has been a long running disputes over parking in Scarbrough.

It's a real shame that local authorities take this attitude but, then again, there have been lots of examples where tolerant authorities have had to restrict previous overnight parking due to bad behaviour by a few motorhomers.

David

kevandali - 2017-05-01 3:45 PMNot the info I expected but regardless, had a brill time.
Parked in a public car park in Runswick, paid for parking and went in the Cliffmount Hotel opposite the car park.
Asked the owner about overnight parking and he said no one really checks but he couldn't say for sure if it was ok.
Had a good walk and then noticed a huge sign saying 'no overnight parking or camping'
Rightly or wrongly, parked in a corner out of the way as it was a huge car park, ended up spending about £40 in the pub/hotel on a lovely meal and a few beers.
Stayed the night and paid for parking again in the morning and had another good walk.

I do understand the reasons behind not encouraging overnight stays in empty car parks but we actually poured a  bit of money into the local economy, left no trace of ever being there and enjoyed our visit at the same time.

If money was no object I could see a lot of motorhomers using campsites all the time but that simply is not the case.
Rightly or wrongly, we will continue to use our van in multiple ways, campsites, aires and free parking. :-)

well said, it's called democracy. It's a shame that because of a few, do not understand how to be a little more thoughtful, considerate and diplomatic parking anywhere but a campsite is frowned upon. I'm not against campsites but I'm a single man and have been for some time and I have found in the past that some campsites are not keen on allowing me to stay on there site so I do not entertain them anymore. So if you take this to the extreme I wouldn't be able to stay anywhere in my van. All because of bigoted busy bodies who tar everyone with the same brush. Thankfully the view is very different on the near continent.

Archived