Sat Nav

Guest Jack

Having just tried out my Tom Tom nav system, I was wondering if it was possible to 1) stop it taking very minor roads and 2)when we are in France not to take the toll motorways and take main roads? I'm sure there are other tricks I've yet to discover! Many thanks.

Guest Bry B
Hi Jack, try setting the motorway speed same or slower than the main Rd and the minor roads at 0 mph, go to file, tools, properties to find these. its a great tool.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Steve
Hi there, I've used Tomtom 3 extensively on the continent and have always considered that an 'Avoid Toll Roads' option should be at the top of the list for any enhancements to the software. Well, Tomtom have duly obliged with this function on Tomtom 5 to be released later this month. I have experimented in the past with changing the Autoroute speed algorithms to a low figure to trick the software but this only succeeds in causing VERY long calculation times. My favourite solution is to assign one of the PDA buttons to display 'Alternative Routes' and then select the appropriate 'Avoid A16' icon or similar. In practice this only needs to be done a few times on a days journey and usually on the approach to a major route change. Should at any stage, you wish to use the Autoroute, then simply select the 'Original Route' icon and Tomtom will thereafter send you via the Autoroute. I find this works very well in practice and journey calculation times remain speedy. Steve

Archived