Are you going to York in the Motorhome?

kevandali

We headed to York and the first mistake was driving past the park and ride, we just had not done any research, dropped the other half and the pooch off at our daughters and a local neighbour politely informed me that it was permit parking only before i had actually turned the engine off. I informed her that I knew that and was dropping off to which she gave me directions to two carparks just round the corner.

Car park 1 Height barrier
Car park 2 No height barrier, loads of empty bays for coaches and mini buses, big sign saying 'no motorhomes'
Eventually found parking at YO31 7UP - Foss Islands Road, opposite Morrisons and Waitrose superstores.

There is on road parking for about 20 Vans/Motorhomes and unless you want to use the park and ride it is ideal for visiting York.

Don't waste your time trying all the carparks and various other off road parking, like us.
Wasted about 45 mins and just got stressed out.
Well worth a visit :-)

Hi kevandali,

Yes, Foss Islands Road has long been a designated place for motorhome parking in York. I believe it is noted in the booklet that MMM produce periodically and on the motorhomeparking.co.uk website.

We are booked to stay at Rowntree Park Caravan and Motorhome Club site in May which is within walking distance of the city centre but have also used the Beechwood Grange site before which is not far from the Monks Cross Park and Ride which we use from there.

David

• 4 months later...

Hi,

We recently visited York and stayed at the York Rowntree Park Caravan and Motorhome Club site.

This site is brilliant for walking into York, so we didn't have to move the van all weekend.

Full details are:-

York Rowntree Park Caravan, Terry Avenue, York, North Yorkshire, YO23 1JQ

Regards,

Paul and Julie

As a long term resident of North Yorkshire, I would like to take the opportunity to state the historic facts about parking at the southern end of Foss Islands Road, York.

Some ten or more years ago this area was originally free parking for all vehicles. In their wisdom York City Council decided make it a Pay and Display area with part reserved for motorhomes.

York then received praise for making provision for motorhomes!

Alan

Archived