Calais - Reims - Le Mans. Recommendations?

plwsm2000

Hi,

We are leaving for our first big trip to France in just over a week and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of a route from Calais or Dunkirk area around the south of Paris to Le Mans (where to stay and where NOT to stay!). We are also looking to take in some of the WW1 battlefield sites enroute.

Our rough plan is to spend a few days around the WW1 battlefields and then meander through Arras, Thiepval, Reims/Epernay , Orleans to Le Mans for the 23rd May (the anniversary of my wifes uncle's plane being shot down in WW2). We are continuing south for another 6 weeks or so afterwards.

I have allowed 2 weeks for this first part of the trip - is this too little/ too much? We don't expect to see everything in this time and we will be going back again later in the year (heading towards Germany in September).

I am particularly interested to know places to avoid (difficult traffic or not much to see) and must see.

Also is Thiepval easy to get to and park with a 6.5m motorhome?

Thanks

Phil

I could be here all day answering this as there is so much. From the Normandy beaches to the Battle of the bulge. Some memorials and battle sights are down some pretty narrow lanes. And you pass many WW1 sites like Vimy Ridge and Verdun, Vimy is well worth a visit even though it's a WW1 sight Pegasus bridge (W11)another and the Bayeux Tapestry is worth seeing while around Caen (ww1066) Have a look here.

http://www.overlordtour.com/

You really would be better of getting on the interweb and doing some research. There are plenty of aires and campsites to choose from at the same. As for "safe" do not stay overnight on motorway service areas and aires and if you stop and it does not feel safe then it probably isn't. Take the internet with you and research as you go. It will give you a great deal to think about. On the other hand if you time it right you could end up just south of LeMans on the Molsanne straight (which isn't) any more but be prepared to be over taken at around 200mph (lol)

Thanks for the suggestions. I have done quite a lot of research (probably too much!) and have gone through the ACSI app, campercontact, camperstop etc. We seem to be spoilt for choice hence question to try and get another level of filtering from you guys.

As mentioned previously, this will not be our only visit and do not expect to see everything this time. Any feed back of places to avoid would be good (although I expect there are plenty of these too).

Not sure if your plans are set in stone but if you go Dunkirk and turn left into Belgium, Ypres or Epra as I pronounce it, is amazing for WW1 battlefields. I wasn't that interested at first, but we did a cycle tour where you just follow the route past several memorials, cemeteries and battlefields which include Hill 60. All very interesting and not miles out your way.

hallii - 2017-05-03 2:11 PM

We came up that way a few days back. Good roads and lots of WW1 and WW2 sites. They are mostly well signposted off the main roads. Do not miss the WW1 museum at Peronne http://www.greatwar.co.uk/somme/museum-historial-peronne.htm well worth a visit.

H

We went there many years ago. i seem to remember that there is a camp site in Peronne Either ACSI or in The Caravan Club book. Easy walk to the museum and town

PJay

Archived