Fitting a Thetford 420 oven in 2015 Hymer Exsis i588

RFC7

I am considering fitting a small Thetford 420 gas/mains oven in the top locker above the already fitted Fridge/freezer. The oven height and width dimensions check out ok, however, the cupboard is not deep enough, having said that, I can see there is a lightweight false back to the locker.

Does anyone have any experience of fitting this oven in this locker, and if so, will the removal of the false rear locker panel provide the additional depth required?

Next question: Where is the best place to take both gas and electric feeds from, secondly, if the above is possible, for obvious reasons, should I consider fitting a small external vent through the side panel of the Hymer, directly behind the rear of the oven.

All comments gratefully received.

RFC7

Have you considered a combined mains electric microwave, ours is a microwave, grill and conventional oven. So it is possible to cook with conventional oven and microwave at the same time, it quicker and can use less electricity as well as make toast for breakfast or warm the croissants.

The disadvantage is mains is required.

We have used on for several years for all our oven needs, our Hymer 572 did not have an oven fitted when we bought it so hence this solution.

An external BBQ point is used for fair weather cooking.

Can't really help but have you considered:

1) Some users with Tec-towers (oven over fridge/freezer) complain about difficulty in using because of the height.

2) Carthago offer Tec-towers but also gas ovens underneath the hob. Easier for gas connection and some owners have added an air vent in the exterior wall just below the kitchen work surface.

Is this a new model of oven? You quote gas/mains, but the Thetford 420 is a gas oven with 12V ignition.

We had a similar sized gas oven as original equipment in our first motorhome, a 1990 Pilote R390.

This oven featured a pull out heat shield at the top, and was ignited with a gas wand.

An external air vent was fitted behind the oven, but this presented a route for gales to blow the flame out and chill us! After some research, I fitted a blanking plate behind the ventilator, and provided several extra 30mm concealed ventilation holes under the rear of the oven. I suspect that original reason for the external ventilator was to provide access to the gas connection. You may find a blanked off ventilator useful in this respect.

Alan

Robbo - 2017-05-07 3:07 PM

Can't really help but have you considered:

1) Some users with Tec-towers (oven over fridge/freezer) complain about difficulty in using because of the height.

2) Carthago offer Tec-towers but also gas ovens underneath the hob. Easier for gas connection and some owners have added an air vent in the exterior wall just below the kitchen work surface.

as described above, our previous Carthago had a Tec Tower gas oven above the fridge/freezer, we have now downsized to a C-Compactline 138 where no oven is fitted as std, so the dealer fitted a Thetford Duplex gas oven/grill under the worktop and we lost one of the right hand storage drawers.

we also have a fan and its own external vent.

the oven works extremely well. we think better than the previous Tec Tower unit.

Archived