Damp in Motorhome

Travel63

Hi All, we have a 2016 motorhome that we picked up in September 2016 on a 66 plate.

In February we found damp under the bench seat behind the drivers seat all along underneath readings upto 95%. We returned the motorhome to the dealers and they supposedly stripped it back resealed and reassembled and we picked it up. Obviously we were devastated to find damp in a vehicle that was only 5 months old.

You now know what I am going to say next, yes went into the motorhome to sort out and guess what the damp is back ?? ?? ?? Have spoken to the dealer and they obviously want to inspect. So that is a motorhome that is not yet 8 months old and second lot of damp found but is in the same place so not sorted first time round.

I know that legally I can reject but does anyone know how easy this is to do ? We love the layout but not sure if I will ever be happy with the MH.

Has anyone got any advice or experienced a similar thing and how did they get it sorted.

Thanks for any advice.

what dealer was it if there any good they will fix it ,with regards to rejecting it i think you will be out of luck this far down the timeline , although it was probably doing it from day one , ask the question and speak to trading standards

Fully understand your predicament.  We too had similar problems.  2010 motorhome bought new.......went to Scotland in that awful storm the USA sent over to us and after a day of horrendous rain found the back wall (bed) was ringing wet.  Luckily the supplying dealer was on our way home so we called, arranged a date/time for it to be looked into.  It was and the rear window was found to not have been sealed correctly.  Problem sorted.......we thought.

Next year 'hab service' at 'approved dealership' finds damp in back wall.  As we had kept to the terms of the warranty they claimed on our behalf.......claim approved and £3000.00 (approx) of rectification work done.  Next year......more damp....another £900.00 warranty work. Next year.....more damp....rectification done as good will gesture.  Now in 2016 we have the first 'hab service' damp report since new where we are 'damp free'.    'Prosecco' cork popped in celebration.  :-)

So why the long story?  Well if the MH is 'the one for you' and the dealership is decent, trustworthy and you have confidence in them then as long as your warranty is maintained,  you might consider letting them sort the problem for you.  We did and are well pleased.
If it is going to cost you then clearly there is the need to reassess.

Travel63,

If you post-up the make and model of your MH then someone may be able to advise you better.

My MH, as an example, has the water heating system located under a bench behind the drivers seat so has lots of potential for water issues if a pipe was found to be faulty etc.

I bought mine in Sep 2016 too so you must be peeved off with the whole scenario. I would be.

All the best,

Andrew

Travel63 - 2017-05-09 6:48 PM

Hi All, we have a 2016 motorhome that we picked up in September 2016 on a 66 plate.

In February we found damp under the bench seat behind the drivers seat all along underneath readings upto 95%. We returned the motorhome to the dealers and they supposedly stripped it back resealed and reassembled and we picked it up. Obviously we were devastated to find damp in a vehicle that was only 5 months old.

You now know what I am going to say next, yes went into the motorhome to sort out and guess what the damp is back ?? ?? ?? Have spoken to the dealer and they obviously want to inspect. So that is a motorhome that is not yet 8 months old and second lot of damp found but is in the same place so not sorted first time round.

I know that legally I can reject but does anyone know how easy this is to do ? We love the layout but not sure if I will ever be happy with the MH.

Has anyone got any advice or experienced a similar thing and how did they get it sorted.

Thanks for any advice.

I understand your feelings.

I assume the work carried out by the dealer to date was under the manufacturer's warranty? If so, I think I'd have a word with the manufacturer direct, as leakage of the nature you describe indicates a major defect in manufacture and, IMO the van should either go back to the factory, or should be inspected by the manufacturer at the dealership. The manufacturer needs to give the dealer all the technical support they can provide, not just leave him to solve their problem for them.

I would follow the advice above to speak to Trading Standards or Citizens Advice to enquire where you stand legally - just in case. At least you can then ensure that whatever you say or write to the dealer doesn't prejudice any of your legal rights. However, as said above, I suspect legal rejection would be complicated due to the time that has passed since taking delivery of the van.

It should not be the case that permanent damage has resulted after what is a relatively short time, but the possibility can not be dismissed out of hand. Remember that the van is your property, and you have a right to be informed what remedy is proposed, and to be satisfied with that proposal. Effective, permanent, repair should be possible, and if all parties can agree on the cause of the problem, and on how to make the fault good, including how to remove the accumulated moisture already present, there is no reason your van should suffer any long term effects from two documented wettings in a short period of time.

Whatever the rights and wrongs, I think you may have to assume a driving role in the repair process, by ensuring the dealer and manufacturer coordinate their efforts in your best interests. I would not be inclined to rely on either to do this on your behalf. I fully accept that they should, and that they may even do so, but I'd make them earn your trust rather than volunteering it from the outset. Get names and contact numbers for responsible individuals, maintain contact with them, and keep yourself updated and involved.

Be alert to the dealer prevaricating over time. This is traditionally the busiest time of their year with new vans being prepared for other clients, so having to divert time and resources to dealing with your van will cause them headaches. Fobbing you off with excuses while trying to satisfy others is a risk to keep in mind. They are legally obliged to deal with your van within a "reasonable" time. Difficult to define, but TS or CA should also be able to assist with that, if you sense they are pushing you down the line.

I would say don't go for the legal route until you are satisfied you have hit a brick wall of indifference, or are convinced there is an issue of incompetence. You should by then have built a dossier of records and documents that will stand you in good stead if, having given all parties reasonable opportunity to make effective repairs, they have demonstrated inability or unwillingness to do so.

To that end, try to avoid e-mail communication as much as possible, use formal letters instead (which you can attach to e-mails for speed of delivery, but send a copy by post as well), keep dated notes of conversations, copies of all correspondence, and confirm all verbal communication, whether in person or by phone, in writing, and make your own notes of any meetings and send copies to all present. They'll soon get the message. However, if dealer and manufacturer prove to act as they should, you should be able to ease off and relax somewhat once you are confident that they are taking your problem seriously.

What brand of motorhome is it ? As most manufacturers give at least 3 years warranty on water ingress

So if it's covered you have no problem , I'm not sure if the 3 repairs and it's classed as lemon stands with motorhomes

Brian Kirby - 2017-05-10 10:26 PM

Remember that the van is your property, and you have a right to be informed what remedy is proposed, and to be satisfied with that proposal

But only if he/she paid cash outright for the van. If it was purchased via a HP or PCP agreement then Travel63 would be wise to contact the debt company who owns the van as the property belongs to them and they have a habit of protecting their assets and interests in such cases.

In theory, and as per normal T&Cs, anyone who buys a new vehicle as part of a PCP/HP agreement and who later has issues with said vehicle during the repayment term is contractually obliged to contact the legal owner (debt company).

Archived